RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
eagle63

Battery Drain When "asleep"

eagle63

Hey guys, brand new Surface 3 owner here.  In most ways I like the device, but my biggest frustration is how bad the battery drain is when the device is in sleep mode.  I'm losing a pretty consistent 4% per hour when sleeping.  Is this normal?  Even if I close any running programs I get the same results.  I ran 'powercfg sleepstudy', and while it's a little hard for me to interpret some of the details of the results, the WiFi chip is clearly causing the lion's share of the battery drain while asleep.  

I've tried disabling WiFi when asleep (that's a checkbox somewhere in the settings), and that definitely helps but it has the horrible side-effect of not re-enabling WiFi when the device wakes up.  (which means I then need to manually turn WiFi on every time - barf)  I'm coming from an iPad, and while I don't expect this thing to last as long as my iPad did when asleep, I would have thought it would be on-par with a laptop.  However, comparing it to my Macbook pro it's not even close - the MBPro can go for an entire weekeend while asleep and only lose around 15%.  

Is this just a Windows thing?  In other words, is this the best I can expect from a Windows-based device?  Or is this a bug or bad driver, etc?  Thanks for any advice.  

callihan44

I assume you have windows 10, sleep has issues which is why I just turn the device off when not in use. You can try and reset the device but not a guarantee, with ssds and fast boot times I don't see any use for sleep mode myself.

eagle63

I assume you have windows 10, sleep has issues which is why I just turn the device off when not in use. You can try and reset the device but not a guarantee, with ssds and fast boot times I don't see any use for sleep mode myself.

Thanks for the idea, but that's just not a viable workaround for me.  I tend to use it more as a tablet than a laptop, which means LOTS of "quick open the lid and do something", then let it sit and sleep, etc, etc.  Even though booting is pretty quick, it's still not the same thing as opening the lid and expecting to be interacting with it w/o waiting more than a couple of seconds.  That's a bummer if this is the typical tablet experience with windows 10.  

thelilgeek

Look into disabling connected standby. I would imagine this would solve most of the battery drain.

eagle63

Look into disabling connected standby. I would imagine this would solve most of the battery drain.

So I just finished running a series of battery drain tests, and utilizing the (really cool!!) "sleepstudy" utility that's available.  Here's what I found:

1.  If I turn off connected standby, that does make a gigantic difference.  However, this is not a good solution because it means the device now goes into a hibernate mode instead of sleep - which is great for battery conservation, but lousy for quick start-ups.  Also, with connected standby disabled I can't take advantage of some of the neat things it provides, such as a music app (for example) being able to keep playing even when the rest of the machine is sleeping.  

2.  With connected standby enabled, I can't seem to get much better than about a 4% battery drain per hour when sleeping.  Even in airplane mode, it still draws about 2.25% per hour.  (which is crazy)  

I'm still at a loss as to why the sleep battery drain is so atrocious on this thing - I can only assume other surface (pro, book, etc) devices have the same problem?  Argggghhh Windows!  It kinda feels like this device is meant to sit in a charging dock at all times when not in use.