RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dewain27

Why Did I Return My 950 Xl

Dewain27

Those that know me will know that I am an avid Windows Phone fan.  I have had many of the devices and even beta tested some.  So you may ask why did you return your 950 XL then.

​Death of a thousand paper cuts:

There is no one reason for the return.  There are several small reasons.  I realized that one reason can be mitigated, but then the next gets you.  So, here it the quick laundry list of issues that caused me to return the phone.

• Poor Case Quality - I put a Mozo on it to solve this problem, but should I have to buy a $75 case to make a flagship look the part?
  • Can't Turn off Second SIM - I am OCD and I don't like the dual sim remnants throughout the phone when only one SIM is in the phone
  • App Store confused - It appears that the app store is getting better, but seemed like too many apps that said they were there and find out it was not really the application I was looking to get.  Example: Smashy Road: Wanted
  • App Quality -  I think that many applications are just not the same quality on other platforms.  I see this getting better, like facebook's recent upgrade, but not on par.  I know this is a normal complaint, however again this is just another slice of the papercut
  • Stability - I know that there was an update delivered after I sent my phone back, however I had things like my phone becoming completely unresponsive but the active call is still working.  I have to reboot the device to get it back.
  • Uninspired - If you buy a Surface or any other Microsoft hardware, if issues are there you still feel the passion of the team that created the device.  Surface Book, which I own, does have flaws and issues, but you feel the passion of the device and the people that created it
  • Dock - I was told that I would get a free dock with the device.  The device shows up with no instructions on how to get the dock and you find that you have to use an app to go order.  The app goes through the whole process to tell me that the offer is no longer valid.  I am sure that if I call someone to discuss it that it would be resolved, but I just paid $700 for this thing with a dock and now my first experience is to troubleshoot a problem.
  • OS shipped not release - I would have rather them to wait to ship the phone with the final SW.  I appreciate the desire to get it out, but the experience suffered due to issues with the build that was shipped.
  • Other Options -  I have a 640 XL loaded with Windows 10.  It really is a great phone and if you have one then it takes the wind out of a 950 XL.  The 640 XL can be had for $249 with no contract and is just awesome.  The other thing is that the 950 has the 640 to compare for just $60.  There is just not enough value to me to justify the jump in price.
  • Cost - As with the previous post, the phone just flat out cost too much.  It is much more costly than the Nexus options or even One Plus options.  I know that it is a premium device, but neither of the other two require me to run out and spend $70 on a cover to make it look presentable in public.

So, I know that many of you may not like the information that I shared above, but it is really the truth.  This is not about it running Windows, that is a plus for me.  I don't care about the app gap... You just add all this stuff together and it becomes a pure issue around value.  I will keep an eye on the 950 XL and yes I will probably buy it again, but it will be when the phone drops to $400.  I think that is the magic number for me.  

• Like 1

callihan44

I feel your pain, who knows what the fate of windows phone is for the future but right now it's a mess imo. Unfortunately I feel like I may be forever regulated to the mercy of android if things don't turn around. There really is no incentive for someone to walk away from IOS or android, and I don't really see a push to improve things so I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

WolfJT

I feel your pain, who knows what the fate of windows phone is for the future but right now it's a mess imo. Unfortunately I feel like I may be forever regulated to the mercy of android if things don't turn around. There really is no incentive for someone to walk away from IOS or android, and I don't really see a push to improve things so I will leave it at that.

I completely agree. I am an avid WP fan. But after 2015 I am no longer able to suggest to anyone in good conscience to buy the platform.  I love my 640, I use it as an MP3 player. I am an Icon user for my main cell phone. It's sad for me really.

pfinter

I just upgraded my wife to the 950. So far she likes it.  She missed out on all the windows 8.1 upgrades as they were unsupported on her HTC WP8. But, for her getting apps like glance and other things is like Christmas.

dudeface

I've struggled so much and its a relief to find others who feel the same way. I wrote the review below and tried to post it to Microsoft store but it, of course, doesnt comply with the guidelines. So lame. I'm going back to my 925 and will buy an iPhone for the first time. I've been a huge WinPhone guy but similar to what you noted and what I say below, its insulting that they released this as a consumer phone. Itll be great in two years if they survive.

Dont be punished for liking Windows Phones - Pass on this

After enjoying Lumias as my last three phones (710, 820, 925), I've struggled with the 950 XL as my phone for the past few weeks.

PROS: Love the camera and my iPhone friends were impressed as well. Still love Cortana and she shines more in Windows 10 Mobile vs. WinPhone 8.1 - great work. Battery life isnt as bad as many reviews claim - its pretty good but not exceptional. A good number of apps are available (more than on my 925 that hasnt been upgraded to Win 10 Mobile). The Mozo phone backs are nice and make for an impressive looking phone ( but should have been included not cost an additional $50.) It charges quickly and I am a huge fan of the wireless Qi charging. The OS interface is mostly the clean, simple Windows phone experience that I've appreciated.

CONS: The buggy OS with too many half baked features. The very reason I've loved Win Phones is why I think I will be returning my first working MS product ever (and the dock and the Mozo cases). The software is really the problem and it is that bad. I just cant believe this phone is for sale. Its clearly a dev beta release phone and should have been sold as such - not a $700 phone sold to consumers. I mean, I get that this is a bridge to a Surface phone and have always accepted Windows phones were limited, but buggy and not functional is something else - this level of finish is insulting. I have a Groove subscription. The Groove app errors out everytime I attempt to play anything. I cant uninstall and reinstall Groove to fix this because it is baked into the OS so...it just doesnt work. In using my wifes Spotify on our UE MegaBoom, the songs stuttered because I was connected to my MS Band 2. Turned off my MS Band 2s bluetooth and no more problems. Another time, the 950 XL was connecting and reconnecting to the bluetooth speaker while my wifes phone was playing music. The volume kept jumping around between the two devices until I shut the 950 XLs bluetooth off. Problem solved. First and only time we had that issue.

This is in addition to random stuttering, app closings and occasional restarts. While writing this review, the keyboard stopped working, disappeared and then reappeared only after I messed around with the menus. No joke. That is all separate from the disappointments like Office apps still are better on the iPhone (this still hasnt changed from WP8.1 on the 925). Or the phone call clarity and sound being worse (tinny) compared to the 925. Or even the poor organization of the settings which will be unfamiliar to Windows Phone users. Part of me wanted to join Windows Insider to play with the newer OS versions to see if they were better. But I didnt want to lose my warranty and affect my ability to take the phone back. Its that bad. I mean, it IS $700 phone. With a software problem. In the end, Im just not going to pay $700 to help product test for MS. Tech has to work for me, not me for it, at that price. (Reviewed on my Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile 950 XL)

schoondoggy

I've struggled so much and its a relief to find others who feel the same way. I wrote the review below and tried to post it to Microsoft store but it, of course, doesnt comply with the guidelines. So lame. I'm going back to my 925 and will buy an iPhone for the first time. I've been a huge WinPhone guy but similar to what you noted and what I say below, its insulting that they released this as a consumer phone. Itll be great in two years if they survive.

Dont be punished for liking Windows Phones - Pass on this

After enjoying Lumias as my last three phones (710, 820, 925), I've struggled with the 950 XL as my phone for the past few weeks.

PROS: Love the camera and my iPhone friends were impressed as well. Still love Cortana and she shines more in Windows 10 Mobile vs. WinPhone 8.1 - great work. Battery life isnt as bad as many reviews claim - its pretty good but not exceptional. A good number of apps are available (more than on my 925 that hasnt been upgraded to Win 10 Mobile). The Mozo phone backs are nice and make for an impressive looking phone ( but should have been included not cost an additional $50.) It charges quickly and I am a huge fan of the wireless Qi charging. The OS interface is mostly the clean, simple Windows phone experience that I've appreciated.

CONS: The buggy OS with too many half baked features. The very reason I've loved Win Phones is why I think I will be returning my first working MS product ever (and the dock and the Mozo cases). The software is really the problem and it is that bad. I just cant believe this phone is for sale. Its clearly a dev beta release phone and should have been sold as such - not a $700 phone sold to consumers. I mean, I get that this is a bridge to a Surface phone and have always accepted Windows phones were limited, but buggy and not functional is something else - this level of finish is insulting. I have a Groove subscription. The Groove app errors out everytime I attempt to play anything. I cant uninstall and reinstall Groove to fix this because it is baked into the OS so...it just doesnt work. In using my wifes Spotify on our UE MegaBoom, the songs stuttered because I was connected to my MS Band 2. Turned off my MS Band 2s bluetooth and no more problems. Another time, the 950 XL was connecting and reconnecting to the bluetooth speaker while my wifes phone was playing music. The volume kept jumping around between the two devices until I shut the 950 XLs bluetooth off. Problem solved. First and only time we had that issue.

This is in addition to random stuttering, app closings and occasional restarts. While writing this review, the keyboard stopped working, disappeared and then reappeared only after I messed around with the menus. No joke. That is all separate from the disappointments like Office apps still are better on the iPhone (this still hasnt changed from WP8.1 on the 925). Or the phone call clarity and sound being worse (tinny) compared to the 925. Or even the poor organization of the settings which will be unfamiliar to Windows Phone users. Part of me wanted to join Windows Insider to play with the newer OS versions to see if they were better. But I didnt want to lose my warranty and affect my ability to take the phone back. Its that bad. I mean, it IS $700 phone. With a software problem. In the end, Im just not going to pay $700 to help product test for MS. Tech has to work for me, not me for it, at that price. (Reviewed on my Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile 950 XL)

Excellent write up!

It is unfortunate they would not let you post it on the Store site.

If you are on Twitter, post a link to this post and copy Microsoft and Lumia. They need to hear from users that have tried Windows Mobile 10 and have not been happy with the experience.

The general consensus is WM10 is not ready for prime time.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Makes me glad I purchased a 735 until 10 has been put a while. Oh, and Verizon carries a new flagship.

I played with my wife's iPhone this weekend because I was considering moving on but it is crap. It felt like a design for technology illiterates.

thelilgeek

I played with my wife's iPhone this weekend because I was considering moving on but it is crap. It felt like a design for technology illiterates.

Umm... It is.