RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transcoding HD video on Vail with I3 or I5?

deboots

I am new to Windows Home Server and I'm currently in the process of building my first machine to run Vail. One of my goals would be to record HD video with my HDHomeRun, save to the WHS and transcode the files. I see a lot of support for the Core I3 in the forums, but I'm wondering if the Core I5 would be better suited to transcoding HD video? I'm looking to purchase my processor, MB and case with a Black Friday discount on NewEgg, so I'm anxious for some feedback. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What program do you plan to use for transcoding? and to what format?

I would like to use the MP4 (H.264) format. I'm not sure what program I will use, I've tried a bunch of different ones on my PC. I am new to Windows Home Server and I'm not sure what will work best there. Do you have any recommendations?

I have tried the built in transcoding on a I3-530 on Vail and it was great. I have used the I3-530 on another PC and transcoded H.264 with no problem at all. Unless you go to the I5 Lynfield (quad core) you do not gain much but a Turbo boost. If you are this real time for playback you should have no issues.