RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
HiramSS

Outlook 2016 Not Responding

HiramSS

I PRAY THAT THIS TOPIC BE OK HERE.  :unsure:

I have Windows 10 and an Office 365 Subscription, which I updated to Office 2016 when it became available not long ago. (Surface 3)

Recently, when working with Outlook, it constantly/regularly hangs/freezes (Outlook not responding), forcing me to get out via Task Manager. It has also happened, although more rare, when using Word. It has become annoying.

I have tried verifying addins, and other googled recommendations. I have uninstalled and re-installed two or three times. No luck.

I am considering down-grading to Office 2013. Any suggestions before I regretfully do so?

Thanks.

schoondoggy

Hello HiramSS!

This may be more work than it is worth, but reinstalling Windows 10 seems to fix this issue:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/outlook-2016-keeps-on-crashing-windows-10/f8457682-e054-4431-bc48-8385216065be?page=~pagenum~&auth=1

You may be able to achieve a similar result by doing a reset:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Have your data backed up!

• Like 1

HiramSS

So good to hear from you Schoondog.  I'll read/consider the options in the links.  If installing Windows 10 over my current installation will keep everything and fix, (as one gentleman posted) it may be an option.  I always dread having to deal with apps and settings again.  In the meantime, I repaired my email accounts through the account settings/Profiles in Outlook to see if this helps.

Thanks for always being there/here for me.  Stay warm!

May God bless you and family in Christmas and throughout the new year.

HiramSS

Hello HiramSS! This may be more work than it is worth, but reinstalling Windows 10 seems to fix this issue: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2016-outlook/outlook-2016-keeps-on-crashing-windows-10/f8457682-e054-4431-bc48-8385216065be?page=~pagenum~&auth=1 You may be able to achieve a similar result by doing a reset: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options Have your data backed up!

By the way, Schoondog.  Windows 10 has no Refresh. (like in 8.1)  The only option is a total Reset.  I upgraded on July 29th and also did the Fall Upgrade.  If I do a reset, do I still get W10?

WolfJT

By the way, Schoondog.  Windows 10 has no Refresh. (like in 8.1)  The only option is a total Reset.  I upgraded on July 29th and also did the Fall Upgrade.  If I do a reset, do I still get W10?

Windows 10 has a reset option that will allow you to keep your files or delete them. What version do you have, do you not have this option?

HiramSS

Thanks Wolf:

Yes, I do have the option to keep files, but it deletes my apps and settings.  I'm going to proceed with it, anyway, hoping it will fix the issue with Outlook once I reinstall everything.

Merry Christmas.

HiramSS

Ok, Schoondog and Wolf:

I ended up doing the Reset on my Surface 3.  Although I dreaded having to do the re-installs of apps and programs, and settings, after a couple of days I am generally pleased.

I had originally done upgrades from 8.1, then added the Fall Upgrade.  I had always complained that W10 was not as responsive as W8.1 - there seemed to be a lag in almost any and every command.  I also noticed that about 40% of my 4G of RAM was always used in W10.  For the past couple of days (after Reset), my PC is noticeably crisper/more responsive, and I think faster.  RAM usage is at around 28%.  And most of all, the problem with Outlook constantly hanging (not responding) seems to have been solved. Praise the Lord!

What I still can't achieve is to get the boot time down to W8.1 levels.  W8.1 would boot to desktop in a matter of 10-15 seconds, versus around 45+ for W10.  (Am I too picky?)

Thanks guys.  I'll keep you updated.

Christmas blessings to all.  :D

WolfJT

Wow, 45 seems a bit long. Did you look at what programs are set to automatically start on boot? Maybe there's a program slowing it down. Merry Christmas and many blessings to you too.

sent from TapTalk for Windows Phone

HiramSS

Wow, 45 seems a bit long. Did you look at what programs are set to automatically start on boot? Maybe there's a program slowing it down. Merry Christmas and many blessings to you too.

sent from TapTalk for Windows Phone

Thanks Wolf:

Im not a techy, but I know that with W8.1 boot was a matter of seconds.  The only thing I have at Startup is the Avast Antivirus Free and my Rocketdock app launcher. I've used Bootracer to monitor boot time.  On avg, it's 18-20 secs to logon, and 28-30 sec to desktop. :angry: I've thought about tweakiing services, but not sure. Any suggestions?

Merry Christmas and God bless you.

AdrianG001

I PRAY THAT THIS TOPIC BE OK HERE.  :unsure:

I have Windows 10 and an Office 365 Subscription, which I updated to Office 2016 when it became available not long ago. (Surface 3)

Recently, when working with Outlook, it constantly/regularly hangs/freezes (Outlook not responding), forcing me to get out via Task Manager. It has also happened, although more rare, when using Word. It has become annoying.

I have tried verifying addins, and other googled recommendations. I have uninstalled and re-installed two or three times. No luck.

I am considering down-grading to Office 2013. Any suggestions before I regretfully do so?

Thanks.

Outlook 2016

1. Open up the Control Panel on your PC (and show All Control Panel items, if necessary) and click on Programs, then Programs and Features.
  2. Find Microsoft Office 2016 in the list and highlight it.(Selection also say Microsoft Office 365)
  3. Click Change.
  4. Select Quick Repair and Repair then follow the prompts

Please let us know if this help you. Just leave a comment we will try to get the resolved on a high priority basis

Adrian Gates

Sr. Cloud Expert - Apps4Rent