RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Having Major Problems Upgrading To Windows 10

Rod at home

Back when Windows 10 was released I upgraded every machine I have to it. They all went fine, except for my laptop (a Sony VAIO laptop). Got emails from Sony saying they weren't ready with drivers. I reverted back to Windows 8.1 Pro.

Within the last couple of weeks I've been getting messages from Sony saying all is good; go ahead and install AND THEN apply the new drivers (they're instructions).

So I started on Sunday. It got to 97% done (88% finished configuring) on Sunday.

It's been that way for 2 days.

Clearly its stuck/hung. Do I just shut off my laptop? If I do, what happens? Do I lose everything? Will it go back to Windows 8.1 Pro?

Edited by RodAtHome

schoondoggy

No guarantee, but it should roll back to the previous OS. If it does not, you should be able to re-install Win 8 and not lose your data.

In general, the times I have had issue upgrading to Win10, it has been related to Win 8 not being fully up to date or not having enough drive space.

• Like 1

thelilgeek

I also had an issue where having hyper-V installed would not allow the upgrade to complete. It rolled back to win 8 every time.

Rod at home

I'm going to try it again today.

schoondoggy

Make sure you run windows update on Win 8.1 to be sure it is fully up to date.

WolfJT

Did you get it updated?

Rod at home

No I haven't, WolfJT. I tried 6 or 7 times, all unsuccessfully. I had to stop as I was getting so frustrated and I'd lose a week at a time at no productivity with it, because I'd leave it trying to upgrade while I went to work. And because my commute to work is so horribly long (I typically don't get home until 7 PM, I leave at 5:30 in the morning) that I was just loosing lots and lots of time working with it. Anyway, I've got today and tomorrow before I've got to get back to work. I'll give it another try.

One thing I've really been wondering about is trying to upgrade it using WiFi. That's what I use every time I tried to upgrade it. Should I instead plug my laptop in via the RJ-45 cable?

Rod at home

I did download the media creation tools, but they didn't help at all. In fact I ran into the same problem. I haven't gotten to the point of trying it again - will probably do that later this week. I think I'm going to have to have Microsoft on the line with me in order to diagnose what in heck is doing wrong.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

No I haven't, WolfJT. I tried 6 or 7 times, all unsuccessfully. I had to stop as I was getting so frustrated and I'd lose a week at a time at no productivity with it, because I'd leave it trying to upgrade while I went to work. And because my commute to work is so horribly long (I typically don't get home until 7 PM, I leave at 5:30 in the morning) that I was just loosing lots and lots of time working with it. Anyway, I've got today and tomorrow before I've got to get back to work. I'll give it another try.

One thing I've really been wondering about is trying to upgrade it using WiFi. That's what I use every time I tried to upgrade it. Should I instead plug my laptop in via the RJ-45 cable?

Sounds like we have the same. come