RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JohnTW

Surface 3 Lte With Windows 8.1 Pro

JohnTW

I have a Surface 3 LTE with Windows 8.1 Pro coming from AT&T. I plan to immediately upgrade it to Windows 10.

I have been playing around with WIndows 10 on my old Asus X205TA, and instead of downloading and installing tons of updates, I just grabbed the Windows 10 Upgrade app from Microsoft. All went well although I had to manually install some drivers and tools from Asus' website.

Can I do the same with my Surface 3? Or should I go through the "normal" upgrade process via Windows Update?

Joe_Miner

I did the "Normal" upgrade route simply because I had a few non-typical pgms running on my Surface3 (such as Camtasia, Passmark, Crystal DM, HDTune, ...) and I wanted to see how long it would take before it wanted to upgrade itself.

Right after Thanksgiving my Surface3 upgraded itself to Windows 10 and it all went smoothly.  I suspect that you could force a upgrade on a fresh Surface3 (with virtually nothing on it) without a problem (a guess but based on how easily mine upgraded with all the crap I had on it).  Of course, If you have a MS store nearby you could take it in and they would upgrade it for you (probably would want it overnight), easy-peasy!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.  Either way I think you're going to love your Surface3!

JohnTW

Thanks. I had one to review during their initial release. But I really need a Windows tablet, and LTE will make it extra useful for my job. I believe the touch versions of Edge, Mail & Calendar and Mobile Office apps are going to run very well. I will also enjoy watching videos in bed via Plex and Netflix.

Joe_Miner

I have a love/hate relationship with Edge and have been using a mixture of Edge, IE, and Chrome.  I've been watching Amazon Prime and MP4 Movies from my server as well as MP4 Videos saved on my MicroSD that I play back with PowerDVD

Liking Win10 more and more each day.