RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
callihan44

Anyone Have The 950 Yet?

callihan44

Im starting to read some reviews on this phone and going to see it in person soon, Im looking at the 950 and not the XL, I already have a note 4 and want to downsize because being on the go and taking the phone absolutely everywhere can be a pain finding a pocket to fit it in. One thing ive read consistently is people stating the phone is lightweight compared to other flagship phones, not sure how to take that. Using the phone with a monitor and keyboard might be something I would use while on the job too.

callihan44

ok, went to the At&t store to see this phone in person and it was located in a corner like a redheaded step child away from the golden flagships from Samsung and apple. The people working (corporate store) had no clue there was new windows phone out but they found it for me lol. Before I picked the phone up I had envisioned a typical nokia "blockish" phone design but was happily surprised at how thin the 950 is, and yes it felt a tad lighter than my Samsung note 4. In a few reviews I read complaints that the buttons felt cheap, but honestly from what I remember about the 1020 I had it had a similar feel in the button dept so the buttons didn't bother me. I didn't get to test out the camera but messing around on the internet seemed pretty responsive along with mail and the maps app. I really prefer the tiles and having one screen to the icons etc on android and honestly a lot of games and such on android I really don't play much. Right now Im trying to decide what apps I can live without and only one may bother me, and that's suunto's moveslink app...which I probably could just go to the website and use it instead.

Right now Im about 70% sure that I will pick up the 950, the phone is slightly smaller than my current one which I like. Im going to see if anyone has posted some photos taken with the 950 and see how they compare to other phones. I like that glance is there, it's something simple that you miss when you don't have it anymore. I will say there was a 640 sitting next to the 950 and you can tell the 950 is step above in quality, not overwhelming IMO but more premium. Overall I do not think the 950 is the phone to save windows phone as a whole, just first impressions of the looks and feel of the phone do not compare to Samsung or apple...under the hood it may be comparable but I can see this phone selling very low numbers. That being said I think the phone will get some curious looks when out and about considering everyone pretty much has an apple or Samsung phone.

• Like 1

callihan44

well I got it, set it up and played around with it for a few hours.  As said before this phone is lightweight, almost cant tell it's in your pocket so I may end up eventually getting a case for it. Initial setup really zapped the battery, i had to put it on charge already but one good thing it charges pretty fast. Windows 10 is still buggy, after shutting down some apps the back of the phone felt warm still almost like the processor is continuing to run full tilt. Battery life is not great right now but I suspect it's a software issue. Looking through the apps selection is probably good enough for me, but if you are one who loves variety forget it. Some of the apps aren't quite as polished as what I have on android such as google maps and navigation which works a lot better on android.

The phone seems pretty responsive when doing normal tasks, edge worked ok, gps locks fast, camera is quick, I haven't noticed too much lag in switching tasks. The phone is not bad looking, reminds me a lot of the htc one x I had years ago. Phone call quality is good and actually seems to have a slightly better signal reception (one bar more) at my house on lte.

I decided to go ahead and get the phone mainly due to my contract ending in a few months so if things don't work out great I have an upgrade coming anyway, if that was not the case I probably would have skipped the 950. I think Microsoft should have re-launched windows phone with win 10 mobile squared away and a higher quality phone, the 950 kinda feels like " we gotta get something to the market asap" .  I personally would not recommend this phone to anyone but the hardcore fan, or someone who really doesn't care much about a bunch of apps....and at $600 it's gonna be a hard purchase even for the fanboy

• Like 2

schoondoggy

I would agree that currently WP10 does not feel ready for prime time. Have you tried Waze for navigation?

callihan44

I would agree that currently WP10 does not feel ready for prime time. Have you tried Waze for navigation?

I will give it a look, I use the gps quite a bit and having something work well is a must

WolfJT

The problem with Waze is Google bought it and it's not going to be updated anymore for WP. It's interesting they combined MS Maps and Here drive+. So the default turn by turn is actually Here Drive+. It's not as good as GMaps but it's not the worst out there.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I was hoping to get the XL but I am on Verizon and it's not an option.

Joe_Miner

Still planning to check em out when i get into a MS store later this month