RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I Have A Weird Display Problem With My New Surface Pro 4

Don W

I am on my second Surface Pro 4 and am having the same problems on both and not sure what the fix is. I have a Surface Pro 4 with 8 G Ram - 256GB  SDD, Surface 4 Dock, 32 Inch 1080P TV used as the primary monitor when connected to the dock. Everything works normally most of the time but sometimes I get (you know how when you touch the screen on the surface pro you get a ghost white circle around where you touched the screen ) random ghost circles all along the left and right edges of the TV screen, not the Surface screen. Also, if I have any windows open they start doing things I don't tell them to do. I have posted some videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YClszbwTF3M

This video shows the Ghost Dots on the side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3AZ6nNH0js

If you fast forward to the 2 minute 58 second mark on this video it shows how everything just does what it wants.

I have contacted MS techsupport numerous times and they finally said to return the Surface, which I did, and now this one does the same.

Any Ideas

I've seen that behavior in other touch devices, but not the Surface Pro. On the last touch monitor, it was due to a poor contact in the USB input. Have you tried a different cable between the SP4 and the dock?

• 4 weeks later...

Have you by chance disabled the ​Show Visible Feedback When I Touch the Screen option under Ease of Access? I have no idea if this will help, but if you happen to get a resolution to this issue, please pass it along if time permits. I am a member of several Surface Pro Forums and this is the first time I have seen this error. SurfaceProArtist mentioned changing out USB cables and this of course is a good idea - standard troubleshooting 101 - Let me know if my suggestion helps. 

Warmest Regards, 

Mike

I don't know if I am the only one that has a Surface Pro 4 set up like I do but maybe I need to clarify how it is set up and when the problems happen. When at home, My Surface Pro is connected to the new Surface Pro 4 dock, I keep the keyboard closed and I have a place on my desk that it stays out of the way, so to clarify, the Surface screen is not visible. I went in to the display properties and told windows that the external display is the primary, and also not to shut the Surface down when the lid is closed. If I turn off my Surface Pro at night and then turn it on in the morning, the ghost fingerprints are not there, but I want to be able to let the Surface go to sleep on its own, which it does very well, and in the morning when I wake it up by shaking the mouse, that's when I see the ghost finger dots on the side of the 32 inch monitor, also if I had any windows open, the ghosting affects them too.

I hope this helps to understand as to what is going on. Also, I was wondering how to get a higher level of Microsoft help, I have been on their Online Chat Support probably ten times and they have no clue, and each time I get into contact with them I get someone new and I have to start over from scratch with them, they don't seem to keep any notes on steps taken.

Thanks

Don

I had the exact same issue.  Running a Surface Pro 4 (i7/16gb) through the new dock to a dell 27" monitor.  Same rectangles that you described and the cursor would jump randomely and actually click stuff - totally possessed.  After a few days with support I finally figured out everything worked ok if I just kept the keyboard open when using the external monitor.  This clued me into thinking that the problem was something to do with the trackpad picking up feedback from the screen.  I swapped the keyboard out for a new one which has mostly solved the problem.  I say mostly because every once in a while the mouse will randomly jump.  I am however not getting the annoying squares anymore.

• Like 1