RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

This Sums Up The State Of Windows Mobile

thelilgeek

Maybe, but at the hands of carriers more so than the consumers. How many people have switched back to iPhone, or Android because their carrier didn't have the Windows phone that they wanted. My sister wanted a windows phone after her 8xt died, but because she is on Sprint and the only Windows phone they allow on their network is the 635, she got an Android. Verizon was exclusive for the Icon/930 and 735, and are completely closed to an UNLOCKED 950/XL. I believe that if the US cellular carriers operated more like European carriers Windows phone would be in a much better situation. Maybe not as big as iPhone, or Samsung, but I know that if I could have had the 930 on AT&T I would have in a heartbeat. If my sister could have had the 830, or 930, or 1020 on Sprint, she would be on a windows phone today.

Sorry for the rant, just thought it needed to be out there. Have a good day!

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Either way you have to admit WP is teetering on the brink http://www.neowin.net/news/verizon-provides-further-context-to-the-restriction-of-the-lumia-950-family-on-its-network

sent from TapTalk for Windows Phone

This is an excellent example of what is wrong with the US mobile carriers.

Please correct me if my details are wrong, but,,,

Microsoft states they will work with any carrier interested in WP.

Verizon states that their customers are not interested in WP.

Microsoft states that the 950 family will work on Verizon's network.

Verizon states they will block 950's on their network.

Microsoft gives AT&T exclusive on 950 family.

Verizon states that they are open to carrying WP, but Microsoft gave the best phones to AT&T.

How is this Microsoft's fault?

If you are a WP fan and you are on Verizon, I hope you have sent an email to the president of Verizon letting him know you like choice and you want to buy a WP.

He seem to think his customers do not want WP's. Let him know he is wrong. My wife just sent her email. 

schoondoggy

I wouldn't go that far. I think this almost forces islandwood (iOS) to expand into the phone and small tablet area. Most App devs do both iOS and Android anyway, so why leave the door open for pirating when you don't have to?

But Islandwood still seems to be alive:

http://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-bridge-for-ios-apps-is-still-on-track-heres-where-things-stand

schoondoggy

It is, the comment I was replying to was that Astoria, the Android companion to Islandwood was dead.

News is, project Astoria is now dead. This project was supposed to help Android devs port their applications over to Windows Phone. Looks like devs weren’t even interested. More terrible news for this platform.

Sorry, thelilgeek, I had meant to quote WolfJT:

http://www.neowin.net/news/the-windows-bridge-for-ios-apps-is-still-on-track-heres-where-things-stand

thelilgeek

Lol, it's cool.

WolfJT

This is an excellent example of what is wrong with the US mobile carriers.

Please correct me if my details are wrong, but,,,

Microsoft states they will work with any carrier interested in WP.

Verizon states that their customers are not interested in WP.

Microsoft states that the 950 family will work on Verizon's network.

Verizon states they will block 950's on their network.

Microsoft gives AT&T exclusive on 950 family.

Verizon states that they are open to carrying WP, but Microsoft gave the best phones to AT&T.

How is this Microsoft's fault?

If you are a WP fan and you are on Verizon, I hope you have sent an email to the president of Verizon letting him know you like choice and you want to buy a WP.

He seem to think his customers do not want WP's. Let him know he is wrong. My wife just sent her email.

I agree the carriers are shameful in how they treat their customers. But Verizon makes an interesting point in that MS could submit the new phones to work on their network but MS decided not to go that route. So the case is, Verizon wont resell WP but MS wont work to get thier unlocked phone on their network either. So you could say MS is throwing in the towel to all of their existing customers on Verizon. In my judgment this falls on Microsoft. My company goes through the Verizon certifications to get our rugged handsets on thier network so I know MS could do the same.

schoondoggy

I agree the carriers are shameful in how they treat their customers. But Verizon makes an interesting point in that MS could submit the new phones to work on their network but MS decided not to go that route. So the case is, Verizon wont resell WP but MS wont work to get thier unlocked phone on their network either. So you could say MS is throwing in the towel to all of their existing customers on Verizon. In my judgment this falls on Microsoft. My company goes through the Verizon certifications to get our rugged handsets on thier network so I know MS could do the same.

First Verizon says they will block 950 family devices, then they say Microsoft could have the device certified for use on the Verizon network through Verizon's Open Development program. Which statement, should Microsoft believe? 

WolfJT

This just shows us what dire straights that WP is in. If we are left to parse words this far into a platform then it is on the last legs. Its not going to get the consumer adoption level that would compel Devs to come over.

WolfJT

I did have a cool experience at Best Buy yesterday. I went there to get my wife a stocking stuffer L640 go phone that was on sale. They were sold out. The AT&T sales lady even mentioned she was going to get the new WP soon. It felt good to have a positive interaction with a cell phone sales person.