RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sp4 Mini Review

callihan44

I just wanted to post some of my own observations on my new sp4 I-5 after 24 hrs of use. The biggest standouts to me is the improved keyboard ( a must buy Imo)typing is definitely better and the pen with the felt tip is much better and feels more natural writing on screen. As far as the tablet goes about the only way to tell that it is thinner than the sp3 is to compare them side by side. I kinda wished they kept the same thickness as the sp3 but just stuff a bit more battery into it. I did my first recharge at around 20%, I do not put the surface into sleep mode...it's either on or off since the speedy ssd boots into windows pretty fast and plus ive always assumed the tablet was micro draining the battery in sleep mode. Im guessing I got close to 7hrs of use, this was updating, transferring files through onedrive , and just setting up the tablet to my liking.

I have not done any intensive work on the tablet yet, so I have not heard the fan come on (atleast not like the sp3 did) so either its quieter or the tablet runs cooler. I did however feel the back get warm, not hot in any sense but just warmer than the rest of the tablet ( which generally feels cold to me). Kickstand works just as well as the sp3, I wasn't sure if I would like the pen sticking to the side of the tablet but Im getting used to it, I find myself taking it off when in tablet mode. I put in a 64gb microsd card, one of the latest sandisk and pointed my music-photos-docs-vids to default save on it. So far I have not had any issues with it, I know surface devices in the past were quirky sometimes and would fail to recognize them but that has not happened yet.

One issue Ive had has to do with windows, a weird color tint shift while scrolling in edge. It's not extreme and actually you have to look close to see it happen but I noticed it today, I assume this will probably get fixed pretty soon with an update so just dealing with it right now. I tested onenote and file explorer plus another program all with white backgrounds and I did not see this issue in those programs while scrolling.

Overall sp4 feels like a continuation of sp3 with some upgrades, it works well and once the bugs get worked out of win 10 it will be even better.

• Like 1

I would be interested in the battery performance. When you get a chance after a couple of days can you use the following battery reports?

1. powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html
  2. powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html