RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Girl

Would I Regret This Purchase As A Seasoned Apple User?

Girl

Hello all!

I am *this* close to purchasing a Surface 3 - however I have been an Apple user for years. I'm looking to branch away from Apple due to it's limitations and resulting frustrations (admittedly I love my iPad mini but wish it could 'do more'!).

I have visited a store and played around with the Surface and it seems to tick all of the boxes (I am rather in adoration of the pen!), but I'm concerned that after a few months of using the Surface 3 I would regret my decision and wish I'd stuck with my iPad and macbook air.

So, my question is. Have any of you converted from Apple products to the Microsoft Surface (specifically the 3 as the pro is far too big for my tiny hands), and what are your opinions on it a few months on? Would I be able to learn to love Windows again, or am I just lusting after something shiny and new?

P.S. For more info, I primarily use devices for typing/writing, internet browsing and occasional photo editing and web development using wordpress and photoshop type programs.

Joe_Miner

I've been very happy with my Surface 3 https://youtu.be/MewDMVFei4c

My Apple experience has been limited to an original iPad, a couple of iPod's, and working (fixing) my brother and sisters Macs -- so I can't provide you the experience you're looking for of a committed Mac user moving to a Surface -- there are others on the Forums who I think have that dual experience so I hope they chip in soon.

CommonTek

So, here's the thing, for much of what you have stated as a use case, the Surface 3 should be completely suitable.   That said, you should be prepared to work in web apps more than native apps.  Yes you can install desktop apps but I suspect that since you are coming from an iPad and Macbook Air that you are used to native apps.  Maybe you are used to web apps, and the lack of native apps on windows doesn't matter (note, even if there is a similar native app for what you are used too, it is probably much less polished in windows), but if native apps matter, I say get a bluetooth keyboard for your iPad and stick to that. 

My stance is unlikely to be popular in these parts, but I'm just being honest (as someone who has owned several WIndows, android, and apple devices). 

• Like 2

thelilgeek

My stance is unlikely to be popular in these parts, but I'm just being honest (as someone who has owned several WIndows, android, and apple devices).

I totally agree. Why talk someone into what they consider a subpar experience just to land them on the platform? If the comparison was to the Surface Pro 3/4 or Surface Book, I would call no brainer. The Surface 3 is atom based and as such would most likely not provide an experience equal to that of the iPad.

BTW, I am a huge Microsoft fanboy. If I believe that someone can get an equal or greater experience I will push for a Windows solution all day long.

callihan44

The surface 3 will blow away the ipad for productivity, ive tried to make the ipad work on the job but it's a pain trying to pull up docs and edit them on it...its great just for kicking back and cruising the net but other than that ....if primarily want it for typing i would be inclined to steer you towards the surface pro, that extra screen size makes a difference and the keyboard is slightly bigger too.

schoondoggy

In addition to the other comments, my concern is around ecosystem. If the Surface 3 is your first non Apple product, you should research how Apple ecosystems work on Windows 10. I assume you use iTunes and iCloud. These services work differently on Windows than on Apple. If you do decide to get a Surface 3, be sure there is a full return policy. I think Best Buy and Microsoft Store have a 14 day no question return. So of the other stores charge restocking fees.

Telstar1948

I've been an Apple user for years and came back to Windows a couple of years ago. I like Mac's, but I wanted a Windows product for (pretty much) a Windows world. iPads I've had and enjoyed...but, for an actual file system, plug-able storage, the plethora of Windows' software without VM Fusion or Parallels, you will find Windows' is where it's at. I've had a couple of Surface Pro 3's and various Windows desktops. At present, I have a Surface 3 along with a Windows desktop setup in my office. My wife uses a SP3.  I use the desktop (pretty powerful) since I like to game from time to time. Otherwise, I can do everything in my office and for personal use on my S3. For me, it will serve as a temporary desktop when & if my desktop machine goes down. I have all the same software on both devices, but away from my desk I will use it exclusively. I know of others who use their S3 to run their businesses everyday. Obviously, if you must use software for heavy graphics, you may need to depend on a more powerful device.

My S3 is a delight. I can get 8 hours to 10 hours on my battery, it's light, quiet (no fan or heat), imminently portable in every sense and usable everywhere. I use the type cover all the time, but you can fold it back, or pull it off, to use the S3 in tablet mode, whichever way you prefer. The 3:2 aspect ratio of the screen is wonderful for productivity or simply reading. Screen resolution is very good and bright, and if you purchase the dock, you can use it for most all office work full time including an external monitor, USB hub to power multiple USB things.

You mentioned you have small hands. Handling the S3 for you will probably seem perfect. My hands aren't small, but I love the size and portability of the S3 while at the same time enjoying being able to do anything on it that I need.