RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WolfJT

Windows Phone

WolfJT

So, MS sees a 54% decline in Windows Phone this quarter. Only 7 +million sold. With this news and the fact devs are pulling out of/not getting in the WP eco system at a large rate I think it's fair to say the Windows Phone experiment is over. Stick a fork in it. Just as Beta Max was better than VHS, WP is better than all the others but it just doesn't matter. I think it's over.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Lets see if Windows 10 Mobile does anything to help, Continuum, Universal apps and Bridges.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Game changer I suspect

• Like 1

pfinter

I appreciate the optimism of Schoondog and JoeMiner....

But, I'm in the same camp as WolfJT. I think it's probably going to die and doesn't know it yet.

I've been a fan for a very long time. I picked up a WP7 Samsung Focus and fell in love with it. I upgraded to a WP8 Nokia 920 and was mostly happy but, I preferred the WP7 to WP8. When my 920 died and I replaced it, I went with the 830 back in July. I actually like it better. It has the denium WP8.1 release. I feel it is heading in a better direction now.

But, I just can't get excited about a Windows Mobile 10 device. I want to fall in love with it. But, I'm content with the 830. Since I just got the Surface Book, I'll talk it over with the wife and let her have dibbs on the 950. She's on her phone more than I am. She is still sporting an original WP8 HTC POC. And has been jealous of my 920 AND 830. 

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Obviously, if no one is buying WP's they will not succeed. Satya Nadella will tell us when it is dead. Perhaps a better question is, what would success look like? How much market share is required to be profitable and successful? The mobile phone market is a mess thanks to the carriers and the system we have in the US. There is always an app gap, even between iOS and Android. If you need to have the latest greatest apps WP is not for you. The average mobile phone user has no idea how to take advantage of the features of the device regardless of the OS. 90% of phone purchasing decisions, have nothing to do with technology. I don't blindly follow WP. I use my phone very heavily and efficiently. I find WP to be the best product for me.

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Before we bought our 1020's I researched & looked at every phone that was available at the time -- I settled on the Lumia 1020's because they were the only ones that best met our criteria for "must haves"

They continue to best meet our "must haves" better than their competition but if something else emerges that better met our needs we would go with that.  We both use our phones heavily though my wife uses her phone much more than I and she "likes" her Lumia phone.

I believe integration with continuum and business centric functionality/productivity is the way to go for MS to break through the momentum enjoyed by iOS & Android -- we'll see.

But, If iOS or Android have some killer app that you "must have" then by all means you should go to that platform...............

callihan44

Ive been waiting to switch back when a flagship device hit the market, I'm going to have to think about it now. Microsoft waited too long to get things going, the phone world moves faster than the pc world. I'm changing phones because ive had it with my note 4 and it's micro lagging. My impression of the devices event was here is the 950...... now ON TO SURFACE!!!  Not a lot of enthusiasm on the phone side if you ask me.

Edited by callihan44
  • Like 1

schoondoggy

Ive been waiting to switch back when a flagship device hit the market, I'm going to have to think about it now. Microsoft waited too long to get things going, the phone world moves faster than the pc world. I'm changing phones because ive had it with my note 4 and it's micro lagging. My impression of the devices event was here is the 950...... now ON TO SURFACE!!!  Not a lot of enthusiasm on the phone side if you ask me.

the phone selection for WP has not been good. The carriers have way too much to say about the phones the OEM's produce. I am hoping this makes it to market:

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-jade-primo/#!

Acer has not shipped the Primo and they are announcing the Primo 2:

http://www.gsmarena.com/acer_promises_a_jade_primo_2_in_2016-news-14291.php

• Like 1