RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Media Center Help Please

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have a problem streaming movies and need some help. I store all my movies and video’s on my WHS. I have DVD’s (folder structure) and my home videos. Most of my DVD’s play fine but I have problems with my home videos. Most of them are HD and that is where I run into problems. All files are on the server.

Hardware

Production Server: Dell XPS 420; Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz; 4 GB RAM

Desktop: Home Build i7; 2.67 GHz; 12 GB RAM

Xbox 360 (200 GB hard drive; about 6 months old)

NetGear jgs516_524, 16 port switch

Problem

Most of the home videos are in mpg-2 or m2t file type. All in 1080i or 720p. When I play the home videos through WMP or MC on the desktop they play fine. When I play them via the Xbox, nothing is fine. Usually, the file never gets past buffering. If it does, then it breaks up so bad and re-buffers so much it is not watchable.

Where do I begin problem solving this?

AFAIK the xbox has a limitation of the bitrate of video that it can play. I think Dave looked into this.

:angry: What a piece of crap. Every time I need help on this junky device I find out that it isn't that I have it set up wrong or an issue, it is just a limitation of the device. I may have to go ahead and get the C200 (popcorn hour).

Thanks for the help.

15k is the ceiling. Anything above that and 360 will stutter like a fool. Right click your movie and check it's bitrate.

I ran into the same issue. PS3 handles the files fine. My Atom based HTPC also handles them. XBox 360, NOT!

:angry: What a piece of crap. Every time I need help on this junky device I find out that it isn't that I have it set up wrong or an issue, it is just a limitation of the device. I may have to go ahead and get the C200 (popcorn hour).

Thanks for the help.

Consider the A-200 instead of the C-200. No reason for the extra cash for a BD disk is you are ripping. Either should play content to about 45-50 mbits. Or better yet, could be time for a HTPC build...

• 2 weeks later...

15k is the ceiling. Anything above that and 360 will stutter like a fool. Right click your movie and check it's bitrate.

I ran into the same issue. PS3 handles the files fine. My Atom based HTPC also handles them. XBox 360, NOT!

They are only 40,224 kbps. Looks like I need to get ethernet to my ps3. I wonder if MOCA can support 40,224 kbps?