RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dewain27

Can You Switch The Keyboard?

Dewain27

Rob Dendtler and I were discussing this yesterday and we are going to figure out a way to test this, but we think that you will be able to connect a non-gpu screen to a GPU keyboard and it would work.  We also believe that you could have a single keyboard and connect two different screens to the same base with no issue.

Imagine that you have a work and a personal.  You want to travel and you just take one keyboard and two screens.  You just attach the screen you want to use and you are off... leave a keyboard at home connected to the docking station and there you go.. just snap in when back.

Imagine if you have a keyboard without GPU and you decide that you just want to get the GPU, could you buy just that part?  Or if a new GPU comes out... could you just buy the new keyboard and upgrade your GPU?

Hmmm... could you possibly snap this into other types of devices and say use this to power a sound board... it really goes on and on...

What would you guys like to see?

• Like 1

SikSlayer

I also want to know what the connection is. I figure it's gotta be Thunderbolt 3, and I haven't seen a good shot of the connector on the tablet side or the keyboard side, so I don't know if that's physically custom or not.

thelilgeek

Dewain27 that is some awesome thinking. If Microsoft sells the keyboard separately (which would be smart) I definitely think that interchangeability would not be an issue.

Having specialty bases (ala Music Cover) or upgraded GPU would be amazing, and could really "Bring the Thunder"!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

You would have to modify the screen or keyboard on order to make them connect.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

I would expect there to be some driver issues as will.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

pfinter

I guess it would depend on if the screen part of the Surface book are the same (hardware wise) for both the dgpu version and non-dgpu versions.  If they are, why couldn't you just download the driver?

Dewain27

In case you guys didn't see this.  It appears that you can take a non GPU device and plug it into a GPU base and it works.

pfinter

In case you guys didn't see this.  It appears that you can take a non GPU device and plug it into a GPU base and it works.

Makes sense to me. The connectors are the same.

thelilgeek

Now, if only you could buy seperate bases.

orlbuckeye

Well you could use a full size Bluetooth keyboard but you would only get 3 hours of battery life if using with the clipboard only.