RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tinkererguy

Surfacegeeks, It's Oct 6Th And I'm On A Train Nyc To Meet With Paul Thurott And Mary Jo Foley @ 4Pm After-Party, What Would You Like Me To Ask Them?

tinkererguy

Paul Thurrott got up at 4:30am to catch the Acela train to NYC today:

I'm quite sure he'll feel it was worth it, for the big announcements this morning!
train-coffee.jpg

I have just now caught a more modest Metro North train to Grand Central, to then quickly Uber my way to the meetup and Rattle N Hum 4pm-7pm, hopefully just in time, to have another chance to get to talk to (groggy) Paul, and Mary Jo, about the stuff I didn't get to last time:
WestHavenCT.JPG

I'm most intrigued by the Surface Book:

I had a borrowed Surface Pro 3 for a month earlier this year, and there's a Surface 3 in my family.

So SurfaceGeeks, what questions would you like me to ask Paul and Mary Jo?

callihan44

the surface book is of great interest, im curious how strong the connection to the keyboard is...im assuming it is a magnetic connection

tinkererguy

And my experiences and pics here:

https://TinkerTry.com/meetup-after-microsoft-windows-10-devices-event-with-some-prominent-bloggers

When I asked, both The Verge (Tom Warren) and Paul Thurrott, they expect to have their hands-on time and reviews up in the coming 2-4 days or so, but Paul also mentioned that tomorrow, he may learn there's an embargo, so it could be a bit longer.

Edited by tinkererguy

pfinter

the surface book is of great interest, im curious how strong the connection to the keyboard is...im assuming it is a magnetic connection

I watched a video of someone picking up the Surface book and shake it around by the screen. Then they pried off the keyboard just like you would a surface keyboard.  Since I didn't notice them unlatching anything, I'm pretty sure it's a magnetic connection.

fyi... I've already preordered by i7 256gb surfacebook.

• Like 1

Dewain27

So, it is not a magnetic connection.  There is a mechanical component called Muscle Wire that triggers the hinge when you hit a button on the keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book#innovation-new-surface-pen

Attaching does not require the button, but to release the unit from the keyboard you hit the button.  If you watch the presentation from Microsoft or the videos of it you can see the locking mechanism.

pfinter

So, it is not a magnetic connection.  There is a mechanical component called Muscle Wire that triggers the hinge when you hit a button on the keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/devices/surface-book#innovation-new-surface-pen

Attaching does not require the button, but to release the unit from the keyboard you hit the button.  If you watch the presentation from Microsoft or the videos of it you can see the locking mechanism.

Dang I missed that.  Good catch.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I went to the Microsoft store today and played with the surface book. It is very nice. I don't need anything near that powerful but I may have to buy one anyways.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

• Like 1

JoshB

How was the screen "wobble" ImTheTypeOfGuy? I have been hearing a lot of people complaining that the screen wobbles a lot. I assume it moves back and forth while they are using the touch screen... which is expected with any touch screen laptop.