RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Welcome Surface Book!

sberti

My Surface Book Senario

1. Presentation day: "OMG! I love it!  But I won't order one. Too expensive."
  2. One week later: Order the i5 256 (Totally broke down and had to do it. :wacko:)​
  3. Three days later: Cancel the i5 256 and Order the i5 256 dGPU.

I didn't get the i7 because I have found my SP3 i5 is actually snappier than my i7 newer laptop. I'm assuming because of the solid state HD. That works fine for me.

I'm in Canada so ordered from the Microsoft Canada store. Prices are a lot higher than in the USA.

My i5 256 ($2,199 CAD) said it would ship on Oct 26.

My i5 256 dGPU ($2,449 CAD) says it will ship in 7-8 weeks. Should have ordered it right at the start.

Now I endure 'the wait'.

• Like 2

pfinter

My Surface Book has shipped!

I preordered on the afternoon of October 6th and woke up early today with an email from Microsoft saying they've shipped my Book and my Credit Card has been charged. The Book is being moved by FedEx and was picked up Thursday October 22nd in Shanghai, processed and arrived in Memphis TN Friday Oct 23rd 1:03am. It's current status, as of 3:12am is "International shipment release - Import" (whatever that means).

It's possible I will get the book on the 26th. This is a completely different experience than when I bought my Surface RT. When I purchased it directly from Microsoft, it arrived about a week plus out past my order date (10 days?) as there was a weekend and such between the ordered date and arrival date.  But, the experience was horrible as I could have gone to the nearby Windows store and walked out with one on the same day.

I truly was expecting the Surface Book to not ship until the 26th. 

• Like 1

pfinter

My Surface Book has arrived!

• Like 1

pfinter

My Surface Book has arrived!

The power connector reminds me of the Surface Pro 3's connector. a little like a wedge that is magnetically connected to the port. This is the same port that the new docking station will plug into. Nice.

pfinter

The power connector reminds me of the Surface Pro 3's connector. a little like a wedge that is magnetically connected to the port. This is the same port that the new docking station will plug into. Nice.

• The packaging is really nice.
  • The inside of the top is a white foam.
  • Same for a sheet that is between the keyboard and the screen.
  • The heavy part of the Book is the clipboard. It is noticeably heavier.
  • Ok, I was so busy looking at things, I forgot to sync the pin.  It gave me three tries. They each had a time limit. However, "Don't worry, you can pair it later."  rats!
  •  

pfinter

• The packaging is really nice.
  • The inside of the top is a white foam.
  • Same for a sheet that is between the keyboard and the screen.
  • The heavy part of the Book is the clipboard. It is noticeably heavier.
  • Ok, I was so busy looking at things, I forgot to sync the pin.  It gave me three tries. They each had a time limit. However, "Don't worry, you can pair it later."  rats!
  •  

• Looks like only one side of the clipboard has a magnetic strip on the book to hold your pen.
  • It's the left  side in notebook mode and it would be top side in clipboard mode (assuming you would hold it like a clipboard.

pfinter

• Looks like only one side of the clipboard has a magnetic strip on the book to hold your pen.
  • It's the left  side in notebook mode and it would be top side in clipboard mode (assuming you would hold it like a clipboard.

• No way in hell that I would rely on the magnetic strip for holding onto a $$$ pen. it's tight but, brush against anything seriously... But, for walking around the house or office, you will probably be fine.
  • The hinge mechanism is definitely interesting. Press and hold down on the release button (a red LED lights up.) once the mechanism is finished releasing the clipboard the LED on the release button turns green.

Ryno

Did you get one?  Please tell me what specs you ordered and why. Did you get the GPU?  Did you get the dock?

Oh ya, order on my commission link if you don't mind.  Link  Ad blockers may block it.  I had to allow it via uBlock in order to get it to work.  Thanks for ordering via SG.

I did order one.  i5 8/256 GPU.  Got it on 10/26.... sent in for repair today for a hairline crack in the screen.  Fun while it lasted.  Now the SP4 will get a little attention until it returns.

orlbuckeye

I preordered the Surface Book i7 with 8gb Ram and 256 gb SSD. When I ordered it, I didn't see an option to add the NVIDIA GPU. The site listed the graphics option as follows:

i5: Intel® HD graphics 520

i5/i7: NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Processor

In my mind I made the assumption that the NVIDIA GPU was standard on the i7's.

I also picked up the new doc instead of the SP3's doc.

The 1899 model with i5 256 SSD 8 gb and above have the DGPU.

techbutton

loving my Surface Book i5/dGPU/256 can't say enough great stuff about it

• Like 1