RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
yakfisher

Question On First Charge

yakfisher

Hey Everybody,

New to the forums, not new to the industry. :)

I have a brand new Surface 3 waiting at home for me. I've always been a charge first before using kind of guy. But on one of the podcasts I was catching up on, one of the guys mentioned he let his battery completely drain before charging. It got me wondering if I had been doing it wrong all along.

Or does it matter?

Or should I sacrifice a chicken at midnight before charging?

Opinions welcome, facts welcome even more. :)

Thanks

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I always do what is most convenient for me at the time and have seen no negative impact.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

pfinter

Hey Everybody,

New to the forums, not new to the industry. :)

I have a brand new Surface 3 waiting at home for me. I've always been a charge first before using kind of guy. But on one of the podcasts I was catching up on, one of the guys mentioned he let his battery completely drain before charging. It got me wondering if I had been doing it wrong all along.

Or does it matter?

Or should I sacrifice a chicken at midnight before charging?

Opinions welcome, facts welcome even more. :)

Thanks

I used to be like you before Lithium ion batteries.

Now, I plug in the new device and run all the updates and then charge it over night just to be sure.

Lithium ion batteries don't have the same issues as the older battery technologies where you would need to drain them completely else risk shortening the charge life of the battery.

Most new tech use Lithium ion batteries.  So, newer cell phones, tablets and laptops don't need the drain the battery till it dies scenario to extend the life of the battery.

WolfJT

Pfinter is correct, Lithium ion batteries do not have the memory problems of early battery technology. Nicad batteries would hold a memory if you charge them before they drain. Hence the new low battery baseline would become where you started to recharge the battery. Lithium Ion batteries have a limit of charge cycles before they start not be able to hold a charge like when they were new. Most commercial batteries have around a 500 to a 1000 charge cycle maximum before needing to be replaced.

yakfisher

That's my approach as well.

I was curious about the "run it down then charge it" approach I heard on the podcast.

I'm always a "plug it in first thing and get a full charge on it" kind of guy. I do remember the old NiCad days of depleting the batteries fully, and sometimes I still do that (residual memory I guess). But generally just plug it in when it needs it.

Which means "hourly" with my iPhone...

Thanks for the replies.