RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Bitlocker On Surface 3

HiramSS

I was tweaking my Surface 3 a couple of days ago.  Wanted to do some in System Configuration (msconfig), but got a message about Bitlocker Encryption.

What is this about and how can I get around it?

Thanks.

Picture attached

Since upgrading my Surface 3 to W10, it has been a bit laggy, slow in loading some windows, apps, browsers.  I googled about this and a few reputable sources suggested that in Boot/Advanced Options I check the Number of Processors and the Maximum Memory.  Also, to lower the Timeout to 3 seconds.  I was going to try, when I got the Encryption warning.

What timeout is that you are changing? I can't see why Bitlocker would worry about that. You may want to try to suspend Bitlocker protection and then try to change the setting then enable Bitlocker after.

• Like 1

go to control panel/system and security/bitlocker drive encryption: there you'll see the option to suspend protection.

thanks for your help Wolf. But there is no System and Security in Control panel.

I searched all through System, then Security and Maintenance, and found nothing for Bitlocker.

I searched Bitlocker and got two entries in the suggestions: Manage Bitlocker (control panel) and

Change device encryption settings (System Settings). When I click either, I get "No results for Bitlocker in the results.

Am I missing something or is this strange?

Sorry Wolf. Major blooper. When I wrote my last post, saying I couldn't find anything, I was actually using my laptop, which I presume doesn't have encryption.  I totally overlooked that fact when I read your most reason response. The PC I had been talking about in my OP is my Surface 3, from which I'm writing.  When I type Bitlocker in Cortana, I'm taken to Settings/Systems/About.  At the bottom, there's a heading that says Device Encryption, and under that On, with a button to Turn Off.

So, having said this, and imposed on you enough, if I turn it off, will it be in effect disabled (temporarily)? ... and will the Turn Off button become a Turn On button so that I can enable again?

Thanks.

I would say yes it would disable it if you turn it off. I would say yes it "should" be turn into a turn on button. But I've not tried it.....