RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Loxodrome

Surface Pro Gen 1, Windows 10, And Sleep Issues ;-(

Loxodrome

Well, I have a Surface Pro (yes, the origional) and I upgraded to Windows 10.

Ever since I went to 10, The Surface wont stay asleep.  I put it to sleep, and close the cover, and throw it in my bag,  And the damn thing is burning hot when I get home.

Also in general, My Surface Pro just runs HOT, has a much shorter battery life, and seems to be having bower management issues........

Anyone else running old hardware like me?  And are you seeing issues with Windows 10 too??

-Jon

thelilgeek

Same problem on SP2.... I set to hibernate, good enough for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      I have become somewhat lazy (using the in-place rather than the clean-build route) and bullish (reckless?) so made changes to all my machines this morning.
      In general everything went slowly and smoothly ...

- DELL 7920 Windows Pro for Workstations
      - HP Microserver N36 W Pro
      - HP Microserver N54 W Pro
      - 2x HP Microserver Gen8 W Pro
      - LINX 1010 Leather Tablet W Home
      - LINX 1010 Tablet W Pro
      - CHUWI Hi13 Tablet W Home

… the only exceptions being 2 x LINX 1010Education tablets which run W Pro: here I received error 0xa0000400 after a message saying I was compatible and good to go.
      Something to look at later … or wait for my turn.

So far the usual annoyances such as changes to windows positioning in Explorer and Edge but nothing substantial.
      I also find it necessary to switch Network Discovery off and back on to make sure the shared file systems are visible in Explorer/Network.

Couple of nice, if small, things I’ve noticed already:
      -          GPU temperature and disk type (SSD, SD, HDD) in Task Manager/Performance
      -          In Security Settings one can dismiss warnings that there are no MSA accounts for Onedrive, giving a green tick in the notification area
      Still no CPU performance graph for the Gen8 – maybe that’s my fault for not being at the latest BIOS level?

While I am critical of MSFT on other counts, I think W10 is one of the best things the company has done. Over the last month I’ve upgraded two old (7 and 9 years) laptops from W7 to W10 (still FOC producing a genuine activated licenses) and am pleasantly surprised how good the driver detection and provision is.

HAND (have a nice download)
    • ZZzzGeorge
      By ZZzzGeorge
      I have a HP MicroServer N40L:

Windows 7 in 120G SSD as boot drive;
      TWO identical 4TB disks with hardware RAID 1 set up;
      Only ONE 4TB disk can be seen in Windows 7.

It's been working perfectly for almost 8 yrs.

Recently i upgraded to Windows 10 and then strange things happened:
      1. Two 4TB disks cannot be recoganised in Win10, i have to treat them like a new disk, to re-format them, which is strange, but it's ok luckily i backed up everything;

2. After re-formated them and RAID 1 set up again, TWO 4TB disks appears in Windows 10. Isn't one supposed to be hidden?!

It seems like N40L Raid 1 is not working on Windows 10? Do I need a new raid driver? but i couldn't find one.

Is anyone using N40L with Win10 and hardware Raid 1? Please help!
      Thanks
    • Rodf
      By Rodf
      I've had the attached appear on two of my Windows 10 machines today. The picture I captured from my laptop, which I've had for two years. What does this mean?

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      It's that time of year again (plus or minus a few months) for Windows owners to pour out a suitable beverage, switch on the TV (say to a cricket match in Summer) and multiplex those activities with updating Windows on one's devices.
      This time round I reverted to an 'in place' upgrade using the Upgrade now button at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10, wondering whether my shared folder setup would be destroyed as it had been in previous upgrades … but no, in general all went smoothly for:
      HP Microserver N36L
      HP Microserver N54L
      HP Microserver Gen8 x 2
      These are pure file servers running W10 Professional.
      The only point to note is the continued absence of the CPU usage trace on the Gen8 Task Manager graph.

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Microsoft is changing the update policy for windows 10  per this article on thurrotts website

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/204359/microsoft-makes-major-changes-to-windows-10-updating

a couple of years ago, I stopped using a windows 10 homeserver because the update cycles kept breaking things

this new announcement could cause some reconsideration of this.  

Don't think I am going to replace my Qnap nas anytime soon -its been rock solid
      but if I where building a new server, would consider it.

wouldn't be hard to set up machine with a lot more capability than most NAS's without laying out 400 bucks for a windows server license

and you can use Drivepool, which I miss from my W10 server