RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

Onedrive Is A Bit Useless In Windows 10 On Smaller Hard Drives

RMansfield

During the beta cycle, I had read about the frustrations people had over the changes in OneDrive in Windows 10. Now that Win10 is out, and I've installed it for myself, it's worse than I imagined. 

What really frustrated me is the inability in Win10 to move the OneDrive location to the microSD card. I have about 34 GB of data in OneDrive that I use on both my Windows and Mac computers. OneDrive has been a very good solution for this. Even on my Surface 3, where I have less hard drive space, I could still see the file and download it. Since Win10 is not allowing files to be seen in OneDrive unless they are actually on the drive, I just figured I'd move OneDrive over to the 64 GB microSD card I have installed. No such luck.

Reading online, evidently, there was a workaround during earlier builds. Deleting the OneDrive folder would make OneDrive go through setup and you could specify the location. I tried this, but it would not let me move my OneDrive to that location. 

And the location tab that used to be in the OneDrive properties in Win 8.x? Gone. 

This makes OneDrive useless for me on my Surface 3 unless anyone knows a trick I haven't discovered yet.

RMansfield

That sounds quite involved. I followed all of it, but ugh.

thelilgeek

Yeah, Win 10 went back to the Win 7 type OneDrive software..... Terrible, but supposedly the only way to get it software to work with OneDrive for business.

WolfJT

It is a terrible idea to remove the placeholders in Onedrive. I hate the way Windows 10 handles this. They must go back to the way it was

Dave

When I first started hearing about the OneDrive limitations in Windows 10 I switched to all browser base usage.  Today, when I load a browser I load two tabs by default. OneDrive in one tab, and outlook.com in another tab.  It's quick and fast for me to get to my stuff and I have been ok with it.  

Now, if I could, I would certainly sync up to a micro SD card on some PC's and love placeholders on ALL my pc's if possible.  The browser work around is a little slower but I have the same experience now in Windows 10 as I'm used to it now.

HiramSS

I am a bit confused.  I purchased my Surface 3 a month 1/2 ago.  Really love it.  On Wednesday I upgraded my Acer laptop to Windows 10.  I'm still configuring and learning.  Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade my Surface 3.  I've read a lot about the issue with OneDrive, which I use a lot, but don't understand it.  I notice that after the upgrade, the the OneDrive folder on my laptop is empty.

Can anyone explain the Windows 10 OneDrive issue to this novice?  Btw, should I even upgrade?

Thanks.