RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Advice On Which Surface

jhunter3

I am sorry if this was asked and answered elsewhere, if so please direct me there!

I'm very interested in this tablet/laptop hybrid to use to login to work and view records remotely. Answer email so, etc. Also to view and create PowerPoints, Word files, the usual office stuff.

Trying to decide on the SP3 because of the larger screen size (failing near vision haha), but it does seem pretty heavy compared to the S3. Also, I'm wondering about the LTE version of the S3, i.e. when we think they'll be out, is it really necessary or is tethering with a hotspot not that big of a deal? I think the 4 GB S3 would probably be enough power for those tasks but I'm looking for any insight or advice into those factors anyone has.

Thanks a lot!

The main difference will be in processor power. The Surface 3 is powered by an Atom processor and the pro has the full blown Intel. So, while the RAM is good, the processor might not keep up. I am running an i5 SP3 so I can't give you a comparrison of the two. But if you aren't doing any heavy gaming, or dev work video or picture editing the 3 should work pretty well for you. I bet someone here that has both will chime in. 

• Like 1

Definitely don't let anyone tell you the LTE is a must. Or if they go, just skip tight on by. While it would be handy if you lost your phone or a hotspot, it just isn't required. I prefer using my phone over an LTE version and paying for another line.

I Iove my S3 bit wish it had a larger screen. I plan to get the SP4 when it comes out of it has a larger screen.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

• Like 1

I am sorry if this was asked and answered elsewhere, if so please direct me there!

I'm very interested in this tablet/laptop hybrid to use to login to work and view records remotely. Answer email so, etc. Also to view and create PowerPoints, Word files, the usual office stuff.

Trying to decide on the SP3 because of the larger screen size (failing near vision haha), but it does seem pretty heavy compared to the S3. Also, I'm wondering about the LTE version of the S3, i.e. when we think they'll be out, is it really necessary or is tethering with a hotspot not that big of a deal? I think the 4 GB S3 would probably be enough power for those tasks but I'm looking for any insight or advice into those factors anyone has.

Thanks a lot!

you mentioned larger screen size, sounds like the sp3 is the ticket...the I-3 version is only a bit more than the surface 3. I would definitely look at them in person and see if the size is big enough for ya

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

I have the LTE version of a Nokia 2520 tablet (surface RT). I love the always connected aspect of the tablet. However, if you're always near a wifi hotspot with descent bandwidth, you don't need the LTE. If you want to share you smart phones data connection with your tablet, you can do that. But, just remember that you are going to drain you phones battery along with the tablets battery. If battery charge isn't an issue for you usage of a phone, I wouldn't get the LTE in the tablet.

Sounds like from what you describe you usage case for a tablet, the S3 would be fine. If you're going to be remoting into a work computer, the S3 isn't going to be  doing a whole lot other than display the screen of your work computer and transfer your inputs back to it. However, you make a good point concerning the size of the screen. I am waiting to see what the SP4 is like before jumping onto the S3/SP3 bandwagon.

• Like 1

Wow talk about pressure! Well I took the plunge and got the S3 without LTE (obviously). Figured I would rarely be at a place where I wouldn't have access to wifi, and if I am, I'll tether with phone (30MB plan haha--vestige of the boneheaded first i-plan from AT&T). If I end up using cell connection more than I thought then I'll figure something out. Anyway set up and settings/organization not as seamless as I thought or hoped but it is a cool device that will allow me to do stuff remotely for work--which is why I got it.

Thanks for everyone's help! I'm sure I have more questions!

• Like 1