RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard

Scott_C

Hi, Ive recently upgraded my WHS to a new box, the motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

Unfortunately, WHS didnt install any drivers for the onboard ethernet controller.

I ran over to the Gigabyte website, and the choice of drivers are;

Win Xp (pci-e driver)

Vista

Windows 7

I actually ended up using the XP driver (not noticing it was for a pci-e network card and not an onboard controller) it seems to have worked, but im not 100% that the WHS network performance is as it should be.

Question: should i use another driver? And if so, which one?

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Edited by Scott_C

Without looking specifically at your mobo, there's a couple questions. Have you done any transfer tests? Does the connection show up as gigabit in the Networking tab of Task Manager? As you know, transfer test results will vary depending on file size. Try something large such as a movie. Hopefully, you'll see top speeds somewhere in the 80's.

Definitely go out to Intel's website and pull down the latest chipset drivers. Intel has a pretty decent detection utility that will help you find the right ones. I'm not the biggest fan of Realtek NICs, but you can TRY to pull down the latest reference drivers here:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I think PCDoc once mentioned adding Intel NICs to many of his machines. For this situation, I would consider doing the same.

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggestions! I havent tried a transfer test yet, something is up, i had a movie stuttering on playback last night. Ill definitely pop over to the Intel site and try to update everything first.

Cheers!

Scott.

Hi Guys, I tried the Intel detection utility, and it suggested some drivers for the Realtek NIC, unfortunately though, when it went to install them it suddenly popped up a message saying that the drivers were for Vista only.

So, given a choice of manually downloading the driver, should I be aiming for the; winxp/server 2003 drivers or the; win7/server 2008 drivers?

The intel site reported the chipset drivers as being current.

Cheers,

Scott.

So, given a choice of manually downloading the driver, should I be aiming for the; winxp/server 2003 drivers or the; win7/server 2008 drivers?

For WHS v1, you'll want the winxp/server 2003 drivers.

Hi, Ive recently upgraded my WHS to a new box, the motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

Unfortunately, WHS didnt install any drivers for the onboard ethernet controller.

I ran over to the Gigabyte website, and the choice of drivers are;

Win Xp (pci-e driver)

Vista

Windows 7

I actually ended up using the XP driver (not noticing it was for a pci-e network card and not an onboard controller) it seems to have worked, but im not 100% that the WHS network performance is as it should be.

Question: should i use another driver? And if so, which one?

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

As mrossco stated, XP or server 2003 drivers will work. As for the stuttering, that may be a different problem. Go with the file copy test first and see where you are then we can go to the nex step.

A certain amount of file fragmentation can induce stuttering.

If you don't find another answer, try this. Follow the directions exactly, and that'll let you right-click on a movie folder or file and defrag it.

And here's another defrag option.

Edited by dvn

Hi, it turned out i had a faulty drive in the machine, ive since removed it and WHS has been rock-solid ever since.

Thanks for the advice on driver though, ive updated the chipset and found a suitable driver for the NIC.

All is well. :)

A certain amount of file fragmentation can induce stuttering.

If you don't find another answer, try this. Follow the directions exactly, and that'll let you right-click on a movie folder or file and defrag it.

And here's another defrag option.