RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS BDB Question

awraynor

I didn't see it addressed on the official Wiki, but I am considering BDB as I had a Frankenbuild die on me. Does it only backup your client backups, your share folders or both at your discretion? And does the amount of external storage devoted to it have to at a minimum equal what you want to backup up or the sum total of the drives in your WHS?

BDBB backs up all computer backups on your server. As of now, there is no granularity to it. It's all or nothing. Your external drive, or whatever you're backing up to, must be able to accommodate the total size of all the backups.

Server Backup backs up folder shares. However, you can choose the folders you want to back up.

After losing my homebuild it would have been nice to have the client backups available. I also have some files (ripped movies) that are only available on the server in my shared folders. Think I may use some Christmas and a BB gift card to get a big external drive for the duty?

Consider getting an ioSafe. More expensive than a regular drive, but really good a protecting your backed up stuff! Just don't be like me and pay too much!

I thought it would back up the sys drive as well. To me that is most important. Who cares if you lose your backups if your clients are fine. You would have to lose a client and the server at the same time to have a problem. That is double jeopardy and I don't think you should plan for that as the probability is very low.

I think it's a matter of what you want. In my case, I want that clean, fresh install with all updates and a few standard apps locked away on my server so I'll always have the option to go back to it should I choose. So I use an hdd in a toaster (Thermaltake BlacX) to store my BDBB's and Server backup's. If I were really doing this all the way, I'd take my hdd to an off-site location. Or, as Jim mentioned, use an ioSafe.

Like many my clients are pretty reliable, but with all the Win7 betas and RTM's I do have a lot of clean installs I would like to preserve. I have most personal documents on the clients, on a solitary HDD via CrashPlan backup and in the CrashPlan cloud. There are however some media files that are only on the server that I would like to preserve. I think a 2TB external drive should be sufficient for BDBB at present. I am trying to preserve some of my tech "budget" to complete my hackintosh desktop as well as an extender. I can't quiet decide to go with an Xbox 360 or Atom/Ion SFF HTPC to stream to my tv in the living room?

The living room component is also a big question for me. I don't console game, so an Atom/Ion nettop looks good, but a $119 WD TV Live may be better yet. I mainly want to stream movies from my MSS to the TV, and WD TV Live seems well suited for that. On the down side, no Netflix support, but I'm not so sure I even care about that anymore. Pandora is supported, and that's kind of nice.

pcdoc has been telling me a little about WD TV Live

I also was thinking about the WD Live. Did you see this piece over at Gizmodo, to include their later mention of the Asus O!Play?
http://gizmodo.com/5397986/hd-media-player-battlemodo-apple-tv-killers

I have Netflix and would like the streaming option, but network file viewing is crucial. The thing I like about the WD or XBox is basically the instant on ability, whereas the nettop has so much more functionality. It ultimately comes down to the spouse acceptance factor, where she is actually pretty accepting within reason.

Oh man, now I'm totally confused again. haha I wish I could buy 'em all at Best Buy, keep the winner and return the losers.

Whatever I end up getting, it must support subtitles.