RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 64, what do you think ?

diehard

We went over some emails & post from this forum. Revisited AV software for the Home Server & spoke about a large Norco server case.

Re: Dave's TV not passing 5.1 audio through HDMI.

Not sure, but I suspect that the TV is presenting to the HDMI input as only a 2 channel capable audio device, therefore is only being fed a stereo signal and not the 5.1 signal.
Hence, as a consequence is not able to pass on the 5.1 signal from the TV output to the Amplifier.

Re: the Kill-a-watt ........we get a simlar "watt meter' here in Aus , my Home built server was indicating around the 115 to 120 watts ....AMD 2. Ghz cpu, ATI 3850 vid card, 8 hard drives plus DVD-Rom.
Interestingly ...I noticed the old power supply I had in the box was getting 'extremely hot' ..so I swapped it out with a slightly better quality unit, I had sitting around. With the replaced power supply unit ...it indicates 25-28 watts on the meter Huh!! ...I think this has something to do with the simplicity of the meter and the power factor correction in the power supply ...this is screwwing with the measuring parameters.

Enjoying the ramblings ;-,
Phil H.

For those who were wondering about the "Demigrator Issues" that were referred to in the show today - check out this thread @ http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/8335-demigrator-exe-again/ over at WGS forums for more background
In simple terms the issue some of us are experiencing is significant performance degradation when Demnigrator cuts in which hits media streaming of TV / Video's stored on the WHS to client devices like XBOX360's. It only happens occassionally (but regularly if you get what I mean and the HDD's get hammered and Demigrator is an active process.
It would be interesting to hear if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Enjoyed the show, thanks guys!

In regards to the person that needed cheap sata cards. I would suggest this 4 port pci card from monoprice.

Pretty cheap and a few mobos come with that many pci slots.

Great show, I just finished listening to all the podcasts (that took about 3 weeks) and I enjoy the round table format and the longer show times.

One option for measuring power usage, the APC ups's with lcd display have a watt meter as one of the read outs.

Yet another great show...

Thank you for clarifying my Outlook Calendar sharing problems...

Hopefully someone knows of a way I can put this in for my wifes work without having to go down the path of SharePoint or Exchange... SharePoint doesn't really suit the requirements, however - primary requirement is cost effectiveness, and they only have 1/2 a dozen staff, so very hard to justify the outlay for SharePoint or Exchange to share Outlook calendars for that many people...

Would be interested in a future show to hear what tech podcasts you guys listen to... I currently struggle to find enough tech podcasts to listen to when I'm driving to and from work... I typically have yours just after it hits iTunes, and it's listened to by the weekend...

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Andrew

For the outlook calander syncing: you can sync a calander with a webDAV enabled server. Like your homeserver.com domain after you've installed and enabled WebFolders4WHS (I use it for XMarks and calander syncing).

About the tuner cards, they theoretically have shielding on the card. I know i have a big metal box around the actual tuner area on mine. And I personally don

I was configuring a USB tuner with the supplied software the other day. It configured itself based on zip code. In my zip code it didn't give me all the local channels, but if I entered a zip on the other side of the city it gave me all of the channels. All of them work. I haven't played with Media Center enough to know if it works off of the zip code as well.