RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Transferring speeds over your home network

NateDawg1148

Hello,

I am slowly upgrading my home systems to gigabit from 10/100. I have never really payed real attention to my copy over speeds but in the past I recall having files transferred over 100mbit at around 2-3MB/S and always wanting more.

Recently, I re-installed WHS V1 and upgraded my 2x500 gig wd sata drives to a single Western Digital Caviar Green (WD20EARS) 2000GB (2TB) SATA 3 Gb/s 64MB (OEM) (Paid $93 Canadian - not bad) and copied over a large 2.5gig file at 11-12MB/s. Noticing further that it was using up the entire bandwith.

Anyway, I have never seen this before at home and have become some excited to see how fast file transfers can go over gigibit. Does anyone have any examples they can share about what speeds I can expect after the upgrade.

Nate

Assuming you jumpered your EARS drives, you should be able to get north of 50. If there are no bottle necks, you can get much higher. I routinely get 85-90 when transferring 20-40 gig files. A little higher than that if the files are 1-6 gigs. Copying on 10/100 is painful and I commend you for your patience. I would expect 6-8x the performance gain using gigabit. Do yourself a favor and implement it as soon as possible.

I'd say that anything under 30MB/sec on a single large file is a symptom of a problem either on the network or the PC.

Recently, I re-installed WHS V1 and upgraded my 2x500 gig wd sata drives to a single Western Digital Caviar Green (WD20EARS) 2000GB (2TB) SATA 3 Gb/s 64MB (OEM) (Paid $93 Canadian - not bad) and copied over a large 2.5gig file at 11-12MB/s. Noticing further that it was using up the entire bandwith.

Anyway, I have never seen this before at home and have become some excited to see how fast file transfers can go over gigibit. Does anyone have any examples they can share about what speeds I can expect after the upgrade.

Nate

12.5 MB is theoretical max on a 10/100 network. You must have had a dog-slow drive, so that's nice to see you get the big increase in speed. So yes, upgrade your network to gigabit ASAP for a further 5-8x increase in speed.

Assuming you jumpered your EARS drives, you should be able to get north of 50. If there are no bottle necks, you can get much higher. I routinely get 85-90 when transferring 20-40 gig files. A little higher than that if the files are 1-6 gigs. Copying on 10/100 is painful and I commend you for your patience. I would expect 6-8x the performance gain using gigabit. Do yourself a favor and implement it as soon as possible.

No I didnt..argh. I have just finished reading the post on how to do it. My plan was to consoldate to one drive to increase my load times etc.

Further, I bought a dlink PCI gigibit card today and my bandwith dropped to an average of 5-7. For the most part, I hate problem solving. The hours seem to melt away and at the end there is usually nothing accomplished. ha.

I will start over again i guess.

No I didnt..argh. I have just finished reading the post on how to do it. My plan was to consoldate to one drive to increase my load times etc.

Further, I bought a dlink PCI gigibit card today and my bandwith dropped to an average of 5-7. For the most part, I hate problem solving. The hours seem to melt away and at the end there is usually nothing accomplished. ha.

I will start over again i guess.

Not jumpering will result in very slow reads and writes as well as data loss. Remember if you jumper now you will loose everything on that drive. Do a removal, jumper it, then attach to the storage pool.

Not jumpering will result in very slow reads and writes as well as data loss. Remember if you jumper now you will loose everything on that drive. Do a removal, jumper it, then attach to the storage pool.

I have two of the same drives. One of them is acting strictly as a backup with NO partitions and is NOT added to the WHS pool. Do I still need to put the jumpers on that drive also?

I have two of the same drives. One of them is acting strictly as a backup with NO partitions and is NOT added to the WHS pool. Do I still need to put the jumpers on that drive also?

It's recommended.