RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ptciii

Rt Upgrade

ptciii

Hi, I have a bunch of surface RT's that I want to upgrade. 

1. Can I upgrade these to windows 8.1?

2. If so, can anyone tell me about any performance issues they have run into by doing this upgrade?

Thanks for your help. Paul

WolfJT

Yes update to RT 8.1. The update is available in the store. Make sure you have all the regular updates completed first. It does not hamper performance in any way

pfinter

Hi, I have a bunch of surface RT's that I want to upgrade. 

1. Can I upgrade these to windows 8.1?

2. If so, can anyone tell me about any performance issues they have run into by doing this upgrade?

Thanks for your help. Paul

Surface RT runs better with 8.1. It's a good practice to make sure that each Surface RT is configured to automatically update any and all Windows updates.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• adih2001
      By adih2001
      Hello! Recently I've been thinking to upgrade the CPU in my HP ProLiant ML10 v2. It currently has a Intel® Pentium® G3240 (I got the model of this server that comes with the Intel® Pentium® G3240) and according to the manual I should be able to upgrade the CPU to a Intel® Xeon® E3-1220v3. Is this true? Do I need to change / get anything else? Thanks.
    • korso
      By korso
      Dear HomeServerShow:

I just upgraded my CPU from a 1610T to a 1220L. All is going well, but I noticed fan speed has increase from like 10-14% to 14%-18%. I am wondering if someone else who upgraded is seeing the same just to rule out that I applied thermal paste wrong, screwed up heatsink install or something like that. I was expecting more or less (or even lower) fan speed as this CPU has a TDP of 20W, and the 1610T had 35W.

Thanks a lot!

• Yogen8
      By Yogen8
      Hello everybody,

I bought a HP microserver Gen8 to learn ESX and to host some VM.

This is my initial configuration :
      CPU G1610T Celeron 12Go RAM 1 microSD (ESX) 4 HDD (data) 1 SSD (vm)  
      Really great hardware but I wanted to upgrade it to have more core/thread (and more VM).
      After read many and many post like this :
      https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/6596-hp-microserver-gen8-processor-faq/
      (and many many other )
      I bought a E3-1265L (v1 > the strange and cheaper version ^^) with a TDP at 45W and frequency lower than the v2 (processor base frequency = 2,40GHz instead of 2,50GHz) and my understanding was the difference between the original CPU (TDP = 35W) and the E3-1265L is enough small to avoid thermal problems.
      BUT... (do you expect that ? )
      After many test, I know I have a new heating system in my house...
      Let me explain.
      I made some test with mprime and I found these (relevant) results :

ORIGINAL CPU : CELERON G1610T
      power consumption : arround 52 W
      cooler : CPU fanless and optimal thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | 40°C | RAM | 35°C | 44°C | 44°C | 43°C | 42°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | 52°C | ===================================================================  
      NEW CPU : E3-1265L (v1)
      power consumption : arround 93 W
      cooler : CPU fan (2 NF-4x10 Noctua added on the cpu heatsink) and maximum thermal setting in bios
      Zone | T0 | T+30' | T+1H | T+2H | T+4H | =================================================================== CPU | 40°C | 53°C | 54°C | 55°C | 54°C | RAM | 35°C | 47°C | 49°C | 55°C | 52°C | VR P1 Zone | 46°C | 58°C | 62°C | 62°C | 61°C | =================================================================== note 1 : with the E3-1265L, all test without cpu fan are aborded after some minute because the cpu was overheated (manually stop over 65°c)
      note 2 : with the E3-1265L and "cpu cooled by Noctua", the microserver is less reactive (ie : iLo need more time to give web gui)

I have some questions :

1) Do you think my results are good ?
      I received the CPU in a very bad package and without anti-static bag. Maybe it doesn't work fine ?

2) Do you know a test to confirm the good preformance of my CPU ?
      I don't know how to benchmark my CPU with similar other configuration

3) Only 10W TDP between Celeron and E3-1265L and too large increase of temperature ? Have-you the same result ?

4) Have you some warning point to share with me ?

5) Today, should we continue to use the B120I instead of AHCI for SATA performance ?

Thank's by advance,
    • WolfJT
      By WolfJT
      That is the question, to upgrade or stay with RT. Personally I think I'm going to keep my RT but purchase a 10 inch tablet with full blown 8.1. I don't want to spend over a grand for the pro.  I love my RT and I use it everyday, but there are many times I wish I had full blown Windows. As a compatible consumer device I think it is the best out there. Hopefully more enterprise APPs will be released for RT 8.1 because I believe it can be such a great platform. The main limitations I have with RT are VPN, and Citrix receiver, and the go to meeting app is so watered down it's unusable.

How many are going to upgrade???
    • Frank97
      By Frank97
      I've been trying to upgrade my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10.  I cannot get the Windows icon on my taskbar, which is the usual way to begin the process.  All updates have been installed.  The "Get Windows 10 App" says KB3035583 is not installed, but when I try to install it, I'm told it is already installed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.