RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

4 or 8 Gig?

whsdude

Hey Guys-- love the podcast and the site.

My 1-yr old frankenbuild is getting long in the tooth. I'm Looking to do a build over the holidays very similar to the ones suggested in recent topics (GIGA board, I3 chip, etc).

I'm trying to decide whether to go 4G or 8G on memory on this eventual Vail box. Here's what I would use it for:

1) Client Backups

2) SageTV WHS Add-in, for video recording and streaming to extenders

3) SQL Server + Possible Webserver

Comment on #3 -- I'm a software developer and I may fire up an occasional app server, like ASP.NET, Liferay, Jboss to test/develop against for "fun" projects. On my current box, I tried to load up JBoss app server and it damn near took the WHS down. It's not like I would do this very often, but when I do, I don't want to hit any walls.

Thoughts or opinions?

Rob

Hey Guys-- love the podcast and the site.

My 1-yr old frankenbuild is getting long in the tooth. I'm Looking to do a build over the holidays very similar to the ones suggested in recent topics (GIGA board, I3 chip, etc).

I'm trying to decide whether to go 4G or 8G on memory on this eventual Vail box. Here's what I would use it for:

1) Client Backups

2) SageTV WHS Add-in, for video recording and streaming to extenders

3) SQL Server + Possible Webserver

Comment on #3 -- I'm a software developer and I may fire up an occasional app server, like ASP.NET, Liferay, Jboss to test/develop against for "fun" projects. On my current box, I tried to load up JBoss app server and it damn near took the WHS down. It's not like I would do this very often, but when I do, I don't want to hit any walls.

Thoughts or opinions?

Rob

Assuming you are using a 64 bit operating system (not WHS v1)you will be happy wiht 4 gigs. Like anything else the more you ask the more you need. I have ran Vail with 4 gigs for a while and had no issues with it. Recently, I installed an 8 gig matched set and it seems to give a little more breathing room on the resource meter which I am sure will come in handy as I increase the demand but at this point, visually there is not much differrence. The short answer is if you are not using this as VM and using VAIL as it was intended, you should be fine with 4. If you add numerous addins and plan on pushing the mahcine, than you are better off with 8gigs now as a match set.

Just know that 8 is bit excessive for Vail and is not required. Just my two cents.

In my Vail build, I went with 4. Should have gone with 8. In my opinion on what you have said here, if you can afford 8, go with 8. End of story.

In my Vail build, I went with 4. Should have gone with 8. In my opinion on what you have said here, if you can afford 8, go with 8. End of story.

Just to clarify Jim, yours was on a VM right? WHSDuded did not clarify whether or not he is on a VM. I do agree though, if you can afford it, do it right the first time as it is better to get 2 - 4 gigs than try to upgrade later.

I'm going to be spoil-sport of the bunch and say that should should separate your WHS from your development box. While you can run both, it's probably going to be in your best interest to have 2 separate boxes.

Losing data because you were messing with a server that is meant to be a set-and-forget box has a very low WAF :D

I'd agree with usacomp2k3. You're asking for trouble if you're using the box for multiple purposes.

That being said, memory is cheap. I guess it depends on how much cash you have to throw at the project..

8 Gig it is. :)

I'll still have my frankenbuild around if I need to test out something that I believe could take down the whole rig.

Thanks everyone,

Rob

Speaking on the subject of memory, I know I have always been told to install memory in pairs and I get it. What I don't understand are all these deals for 6 gigs (3 x 2) that I see. There are not that many mid-level boards out there with 6 RAM slots, are there?

I was going to save this question for the BYOB Q&A, but Black Friday is fast approaching. ;)

Speaking on the subject of memory, I know I have always been told to install memory in pairs and I get it. What I don't understand are all these deals for 6 gigs (3 x 2) that I see. There are not that many mid-level boards out there with 6 RAM slots, are there?

I was going to save this question for the BYOB Q&A, but Black Friday is fast approaching. ;)

The kits with 3 sticks are for triple-channel systems (ie, i7).. the kits with 2 sticks are for dual-channel systems (ie, X3/X4 etc)