RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming problems with 1080p files or blu-ray rips

deadspeak

Hi Guys

I'm having major problmes when trying to stream the above files types from my WHS to my HTPC

Both systems are wired together via new cat6 gigabit network. 1 8 way gigabit switch in airing cupbaord feeding the house. 1 5 way gigabit switch behind tv feeding HTPC, ps3 and xbox

WHs is athlon x2 v4200 2gb ram 11 harddrives totalling 10.92TB dubplication not on on all shares.

HTPC is win 7 core i3 530 with 4gb ram, 30gb ocz vertex ssd as system drive and 320 WD scorpio blue data drive.

Current read speeds average between 20 - 40mbs write speeds are normally over 50mbs

I've got no add ins installed on the WHS and only very minimal programs installed on the HTPC.

The main problem is that i cannot seem to reproduce the problem consistantly.

ive tried the usual solutions such as turning off demigrator on the WHS, no differance

Tried playing the same files on a seperate PC streaming from the HTPC, they work.

Tried playing the same files on the HTPC streaming from a seperate PC, not working.

All files play fine if they are copied locally to the HTPC, the problem only arises when streaming. I just don't understand as standalone copying speed seems more than enough.

Really at a lose end

Any help would be great

Thanks

Paul

What are the switches specifically? I'm wondering if they don't have enough buffer memory to properly handle gigabit and 100mbps devices at once.

Along the lines of what usacomp2k3, try disconnecting all the devices on the switch so that all is left is the HTPC and server that are connected. I play two and sometimes 3 BD rips/1080P without issue (except at midnight). A uncompressed BD average between 25-45 mbit bit rate (depending on how many languages and sound tracks you leave on there) and fluxuate during different scenes in the movie. The actual bandwidth needed to keep the buffers full and to prevent stuttering is about 18-25 MB/s through your network depending on the movie and how it was ripped. If you are getting reads of 20-40, it is possible that depending on the bit rate of the movie that you are choking. My guess is that you have either something dragging it down (possibly antoher device) or something is wrong with you server. After you disconnect all the other devices, try doing some file copy test before and after to see if that helped. If it did, try to play more content to see if the problem goes away. My "estimate" is that you will need a constant 25-30 for a single movie and 50+ for two streams. The other possibilty is that data is coming off the drives too slowly. If I were a betting man, I would say it was your server but check out that is not other devices first.

i had cable installed today new router etc, and i'm seeing some increased file copy and read speeds read 42mbs write 50mbs.

Definatly not just the WHS causing the problem, as i can't steam from a spare windows 7 box either.

Thought i'd cracked it by bypassing the switch connected to the htpc, but after a couple of ok files it started to choak again.

I'm using netgear GS605 & GS608 5 and 8 port switches.

Not had chance to try disconnecting all devices connected to the 8 port, will try tomorrow and report back.

just a thought, could it be the ssd, on my htpc, it's only 30gb, with about 12gb spare.

Also would the size of the page file hurt streaming?, have tried various config, setting to fixed size etc.

Edited by deadspeak

i had cable installed today new router etc, and i'm seeing some increased file copy and read speeds read 42mbs write 50mbs.

Definatly not just the WHS causing the problem, as i can't steam from a spare windows 7 box either.

Thought i'd cracked it by bypassing the switch connected to the htpc, but after a couple of ok files it started to choak again.

I'm using netgear GS605 & GS608 5 and 8 port switches.

Not had chance to try disconnecting all devices connected to the 8 port, will try tomorrow and report back.

just a thought, could it be the ssd, on my htpc, it's only 30gb, with about 12gb spare.

Also would the size of the page file hurt streaming?, have tried various config, setting to fixed size etc.

Definitely not the SSD. There is something else going on your network. You need to start from the basics and disconnect everything but your server, 1 pc, and router. Test that and go from there. I sure you will find it.

Definitely not the SSD. There is something else going on your network. You need to start from the basics and disconnect everything but your server, 1 pc, and router. Test that and go from there. I sure you will find it.

It look like is was a problem on my HTPC. using DPC Latency Checker it told me that my system could'nt stream. tried a complete reinstall using my scorpio blue drive, no problems, so reinstalled back onto the ssd, no no problems. used DPC Latency Checker again and everything is in the green. As soon as i install "easytune" utility i start getting warnings. The only issue now is that the noise from my cpu fan is signinficantly increased.

• Like 1

Well at least you found it. Noise is easy to fix, just add a fan controller or upgrade you CPU heatsink to something quieter. Good luck and glad you found it.

Well at least you found it. Noise is easy to fix, just add a fan controller or upgrade you CPU heatsink to something quieter. Good luck and glad you found it.

Thermaltake slim X3 in the mail, fingers crossed with me tommorrow.

Thanks guys