RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Surface 3 Performance

Joe_Miner

I've loaded some software on to my Surface 3 to measure it's performance.

My full Passmark score was 537.2

CPU Passmark  1485

2D Graphics Passmark 156.5

3D Graphics Passmark -- failed so I didn't get a score

Memory Passmark -- 636

Disk Passmark -- 610

ATTO, CDM, HD-Tune:

gallery_1229_39_258379.jpg

LouCap

Um, so that's good?  Or bad?  I like my S3, and it seems to handle whatever I can throw at it... so, good?  Bad?

callihan44

Um, so that's good?  Or bad?  I like my S3, and it seems to handle whatever I can throw at it... so, good?  Bad?

for normal tasks, it will get the job done. Probably not going to do much video editing on it though, todays mobile processors take care of the majority of needs for the average person... whereas 10 years ago everyone had desktops to accomplish most of the same things.

HiramSS

i just got a Surface 3 (64G).  The RAM usage is always between 40-70%, sometimes spiking over 70%.  Is this normal?

Joe_Miner

Check your Task Manager to see what is using your RAM.  With 4GB of RAM I'm at 59% utilization right now....  the biggest chunk taken by IE then MAIL then SKYPE -- having lots of tab open really chews up RAM

• Like 1

HiramSS

Thanks Joe:

I'll check into it and follow up if necessary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      For sale , Microsoft Surface 3 tablet , 4 gigs memory, 128 gig storage
      good  used condition

includes
      Urban Armor Gear scout case for surface 3
      Blue type cover for surface 3
      Surface 3 pen
      and charger/cable

Asking $200 Plus actual shipping from Central Indiana, USA 

I love the tablet, but had to get an Ipad so I could facetime with my granddaughter !
    • edamiga1
      By edamiga1
      I am going to replace my desktop with my Surface 3, but want to continue to use my duel monitor setup. I currently have two HP ZR2740w monitors, which support both DisplayPort and Dual-Link DVI connectors, but do not have DisplayPort chaining available. I am purchasing the Docking station and plan to use the Surface touch screen as the third screen for touch navigation.

I want to be able to get home, dock my Surface 3 and have the two displays just work. I want them to go to sleep when the surface is not docked as well as when the surface display turns off. So basically I just want it to work.

Performance wise I would like good performance, but I am not a gamer, so that is not an issue. I do a lot of photo editing, and video work, so that is the main performance issue. I would be interested to understand if there is an offering that could provide good gaming and/or could be used to improve video conversions and other GPU intensive features.

Given this I am wondering if I can just go with a DisplayPort 2 monitor hub and if so what is one that is certified or is know to work with the Surface 3. Is there any value of getting the i7 with the 40 GPU cores, or is the i5 good enough?

The other option is to use a USB3 graphics adapter and potentially offload the graphics work. How would this affect performance? What is a recommended one.

Help would be appreciated.
    • yodafett
      By yodafett
      So pulled out the Surface 3 after installing Power pack for Domain and Media Center (on request of #Vinylfreak) and it was locked up non responcive.   Got it rebooted and battery which was 100 not at 20%.  Ok plugged it in and showing plugged in not charging.   after some research I ran across this which at least no shows battery charging.

Did the following to fix my surface 3 with battery showing plugged in/not charging
      Go to Desktop Swipe from right and click on Settings Click on Control Panel Open Device Manager Choose Batteries Choose Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Open the Driver tab Choose to uninstall (DO NOT DELETE) Restart the Surface Pro  
    • JohnTW
      By JohnTW
      Anyone have any questions or concerns I can answer/address about the Surface 3? I would like to answer them here and on upcoming SurfaceGeeks podcasts.

I have the Surface 3 4GB/128GB model with Typer Cover 3, Surface Pen, Arc Touch Bluetooth and Bose SoundLink Around-Ear headphones. It is used primarily as a tablet running modern "Windows" apps with my only desktop app being Chrome Beta at the moment. OneDrink is active with all files synced locally. I use the following extensions in Chrome Beta:

Cisco WebEx Hangouts Magic Actions for YouTube Add to Pocket uBlock Origin My most used Windows apps are:
      Mail, Calendar and People CBS News Facebook Hyper (Beta) Latermark (eagerly awaiting Poki for my Pocket solution) Netflix NPR One OneNote outcoldplay (Google Play Music) Redditsaurus (reddit) Tweetium Games: Crossy Road Halo: Spartan Assault Hungry Shark Evolution Tiny Troopers
    • TomGB
      By TomGB
      Just replaced my surface pro 2 with the surface 3. Happy with the change but the irritating auto brightness control issue with the 2 is still there with the 3 just not quite so bad. Yes I have switched it off in settings and powerplan but the screen brightness still jumps up and down especially when it starts or wakes up. Is there a generic intel driver I can load like I did on the 2 pro to resolve this? The only way to fully stop it in the pro 2 was using the intel graphics panel not available with the microsoft driver.

Thanks