RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
joshpollard

Cheap Pen For Surface Pro 1

joshpollard

I've given up on ever finding my original pen for my first generation Surface Pro. Does anyone have a line on cheap replacement pens? It doesn't even need to be an official pen, as long as it works the same way. Thanks guys!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• jzucker
      By jzucker
      Got an I5 8GB, 256SSD surface pro 4 today. Very happy to report that it can handle a 4000x6000 image with 10 layers with no issues. However, I discovered that the pen does not transmit angle data to photoshop's brush engine. This is a rudimentary feature of the Wacom intuos tablet that allows for natural brush rendering. With the wamcom, the brush engine interprets the angle of the pen just like it would a real brush so for example as you press down harder and at an angle, the brush's bristles compress out and leave a very natural trail just as if you did this with a real brush. Or with a pencil tool, angling the pen allows you to shade an image as if you were drawing with the side of a pencil tip.

You can control the brush angle manually but it's extremely cumbersome to do compared to just angling the brush and it's akin to trying to draw using the mouse. So basically, the pen in the surface pro 4 acts like a mouse that can sense pressure. Without the angle characteristics that even the inexpensive drawing tablets support, i'm not sure the features of the surface pro 4 are enough to warrant using it over a laptop with a tablet. 

Does anyone know if the capability to transmit angle data exists in the pen and will it ever be supported? Because if not, I'll probably just go back to using my notebook computer and the wacom tablet.
    • Handson
      By Handson
      Artdock was my savior on the surface pro 1. It made all things possible for intuitive interaction with 2D/3D art apps. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work on the Surface 3, as so far it's my dream device.

It was suggested that we try "toolbar creator" to replace some of the Autohotkey tools that worked on Surface Pro 1 and 2. That said, it's still does not function as artdock once did. 

Let's ignore for a moment whether certain modifier/click/pen combinations are used for specific actions in certain specific art applications. Thus speaking purely in terms of functionality; I just want to clarify a few things...

What worked on old Surface Pro...
      Using autohotkey/artdock to create a virtual button (or something similar) on the surface pro 1 and 2, it allowed the user to have both finger and pen on the screen and register their action in combination  Is this correct? That sure seems like what I experienced. Thus allowing me to have a true virtual keyboard that worked in sync with a pen. 

Note, when I say virtual keyboard, I'm not just generically saying virtual buttons. I'm saying virtual buttons that played nicely with simultaneous interaction via pen input. No unintuitive toggling, etc. 

What doesn't work on Surface Pro 3...
      On the surface pro 3 you cannot have both pen and finger in combination. The pen overrides touch. Is that the root problem?

People have been saying Ntrig is the issue, is this true? Or is it an issue on the Microsoft side? I remember reading that Microsoft had to custom code a number of things to get wacom working properly with the Surface as they desired. Is it possible they simply were not as thorough with Ntrig implementation?

This toolbar-creator script is certainly rad. Love the customization aspects and the flexibility. But all of that doesn't fix the root problem that worked so smoothly in the old artdock/autohotkey tools. The fact that pen and touch played nicely in combination.

What is technically preventing functionality that allows touch/pen to work in unison. Is the problem with Autohotkey? Microsoft? Ntrig? I wonder if people are just a little to quick to presume that N-trig is the issue simply because it is not Wacom. 

Are there other programmable "virtual keyboard' options that I may be overlooking?

Very much appreciate any feedback. 

• Jorgeverdugo
      By Jorgeverdugo
      do you think is possible to use other N-trig pens on the surface I like the sony vaio pens http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Sony-Vaio-VGP-STD1-Digitizer-Stylus-Pen-/161398675073?pt=US_Graphics_Tablets_Boards_Pens&hash=item25941c5681

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-2013-VAIO-Digitizer-Stylus-Pen-VGP-STD2-/171437724456?pt=US_Graphics_Tablets_Boards_Pens&hash=item27ea7c1328

I like to have another pen for emergency and I dont like two much the secondary buttons of the surface pen  and sony is really good creating hardware
    • mick
      By mick
      For some reason when the type cover is on my pen falls asleep frequently. On a webpage its sporadic at best. Anyone know of a solution? ive looked around it's driving me crazy. 
    • math
      By math
      I just got the Surface Pro 3 a couple weeks ago. I have an issue that comes and goes.

What happens is that if I draw a small line, it looks like a dot and a dash rather than a complete line. If I draw multiple lines in a row, they all look like that. When I try to fill in the area where the line randomly dropped out, it is impossible. So basically the screen is suddenly peppered with small areas that cannot be drawn on or won't register the pen. In some occasions drawing a small line will result in a curve instead of a line. Writing a word for example would look like a series of random curves, dots, and dashes.

It seems like this mostly happens on the bottom third of the screen, and when the issue occurs it resolves itself after a few minutes.

I've had the issue in every drawing program I use: Onenote, Photoshop, and Clipstudio. I only have a handful of apps on my surface.

Could this possible be a hardware issue? Maybe I should return it while I still can!