RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Ot: Which Carriers Would You Recommend?

Rod at home

This is off-topic, but I don't see any forum here which is appropriate. Please forgive the off topic post.

I've been a Verizon customer for many years. I've had 2 Windows Phones, but with Verizon. I've become quite tired of Verizon's disdain for the Windows Phone. I've finally got the Denim release about 6 months after Microsoft put it out there. I'm sure it was Verizon which dragged its feet, claiming God only knows what to not release it to their WP customers.

My contract with Verizon will run out this summer. I've been spending some time looking online for comparisons of the major wireless phone carriers. Verizon does (unfortunately) top the list, in terms of coverage, network reliability and so on. And it certainly is expensive. However in one way paying top dollar may be something I have to put up with. I live in New Mexico; i.e." there's a lot of rural areas here. Having the best coverage I can get wherever I'm at is very important.

Nevertheless, I want to consider other options. Like I said I've done some research to compare the different carriers. I think AT&T may be better, at least they may be more agreeable to Windows Phone users like myself. But one thing these online comparison sites can't give you, is the opinions of people you trust. So I'm here, asking you all, especially if you use a Windows Phone what carrier do you use? How do you like it?

schoondoggy

I am on ATT, mostly because the company I work for has a corporate contract. Phone choices are good on ATT, but coverage outside of metro areas is not great. My wife is on Verizon. Same issues you have had with phones and updates, but Verizon coverage is great even in remote areas. 

Verizon appears to be adding WP's. Here is an entry level:

http://www.windowscentral.com/lg-lancet-now-available-verizon-6999-contract-120-outright

This is being rumored as well:

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizons-upcoming-lumia-735-leaked-again-official-render

Rod at home

Yeah Schoondog, I've seen both of those as well. But I'm just not convinced. My first Windows Phone was a HTC Trophy. I thought it was OK. But I remember having some issues with it and Verizon not being actually the fastest to respond. Then the Lumia 928 came out with Verizon and when I got it, the 928 was perhaps the best WP at the time. But them Denim came out and Verizon dragged their feet so much, it was ridiculous. I honestly got sick of them.

But your experience with ATT isn't exactly the most comforting, either. I have a long commute, most of it on a train. New Mexico has lots of empty space, but I do seem to be able to at least make phone calls or if not that, text someone on the whole trip. That's important. (4G and 3G both go out at different points during the commute, but like I said this is a big state with lots of empty space.) ARGH!!! I want to leave Verizon!!

Joe_Miner

I've used ATT and it's proceeding entities since the mid 90's -- reasonable service for a big corps -- one of their cuts support call centers is located nearby and I generally got good help eventually :)

My first & current WP is the 1020 (My wife has the same) -- like it, excellent phone -- great photos -- love call/text blocking !! -- and I get/got good coverage in Midwest, East Coast, South East, California, Wash State.

• Like 1

pfinter

I have had ATT for around 11 years now because our previous carrier T-Mobile, didn't have reception in new house unless I was standing on a chair on the top story of our two story home. We have had great luck on trips with reception. And I don't have any real complaints.

Last year I drove from KC to Carson City, NV. We drove out on I-70 and came back on I-80. I had much better reception than my friend who had a Sprint phone. However, having said that, I didn't have full coverage which is surprising since most of the driving was done on Major Interstates. Traveling on a vacation to Texas, we had really excellent service along I-35 and most other Texan state highways.  Very few deadspots but, we didn't venture too far off the major roads. My suggestion would be to go to each of the carriers web sites and look at their coverage maps and see what they claim as coverage for the areas you frequent around the country. Your best bet, if you travel a lot, will be Verizon and ATT. If you're more of a home body, add T-Mobile to the list. They seem to be on an upward trend and are about to push into third place ahead of Sprint (if it hasn't already happened.) Whichever carrier you choose, be sure you're happy with the coverage in the places you spend the most time in.

As far as phones. ATT has always had a larger selection of Windows Phones than other carriers. I have had experience with Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus) and I have had a Nokia 920 (WP8/wp8.1). My son has a Nokia 925 and my wife has a HTC phone that came out with the Nokia 920 but has yet to receive any updates for anything greater than WP8. I do not have a great impression of HTC phones from her experience (wanted her to get the 920 but, she liked the look of the HTC because it was smaller, etc... She wishes she had got the 920 as she has severe phone envy now. I am waiting quietly to check out the Windows Phone 10 releases whenever that happens. Hopefully, something more exciting than the Nokia 830 hardware wise...

• Like 1

Rod at home

I really like what you said pfinder. I'll go to the various carrier websites and check their coverage for my state. Thanks!