RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Surface 3 Questions?

JohnTW

Anyone have any questions or concerns I can answer/address about the Surface 3? I would like to answer them here and on upcoming SurfaceGeeks podcasts.

I have the Surface 3 4GB/128GB model with Typer Cover 3, Surface Pen, Arc Touch Bluetooth and Bose SoundLink Around-Ear headphones. It is used primarily as a tablet running modern "Windows" apps with my only desktop app being Chrome Beta at the moment. OneDrink is active with all files synced locally. I use the following extensions in Chrome Beta:

• Cisco WebEx
  • Hangouts
  • Magic Actions for YouTube
  • Add to Pocket
  • uBlock Origin

My most used Windows apps are:

• Mail, Calendar and People
  • CBS News
  • Facebook
  • Hyper (Beta)
  • Latermark (eagerly awaiting Poki for my Pocket solution)
  • Netflix
  • NPR One
  • OneNote
  • outcoldplay (Google Play Music)
  • Redditsaurus (reddit)
  • Tweetium
  • Games:
    • Crossy Road
    • Halo: Spartan Assault
    • Hungry Shark Evolution
    • Tiny Troopers

does the pen lag when using it like a mouse or in fresh paint? How is adjustment going from sp3 to the smaller screen on the surface 3? I looked at the surface in best buy and forgot how smaller the screen is compared to the surface pro

@mccabeio @jwiskowski @surface @jwiskowski Good "One Week w Surface 3 write up.  Assume ur using Mouse w/o Borders for S3 as 2nd screen?

How is touch office? I rely on it a lot on my tablet :)

On a serious note, if anyone uses their Surface Pro primarily as a tablet......the Surface 3 is perfect. 

Google Hangouts works well -- used it Mother's day to talk to my Mother and Sisters and give them a tour of the work progress on stripping wallpaper off of Kitchen and Breakfast nook -- good solid WiFi contact while walking around house.  Excellent picture.

Been using Pandora and Amazon Music Prime Stations to play music -- both work well -- very impressed with sound quality!

Tweetium works well on this S3 for me too!

Edited by JoeMiner

How is touch office? I rely on it a lot on my tablet :).

On a serious note, if anyone uses their Surface Pro primarily as a tablet......the Surface 3 is perfect.

You should be banned.

• Like 1

does the pen lag when using it like a mouse or in fresh paint? How is adjustment going from sp3 to the smaller screen on the surface 3? I looked at the surface in best buy and forgot how smaller the screen is compared to the surface pro

Pen seems just as good as on SP3 but I am not a regular user.

Screen quality seems better than SP3. Since I used it as a tablet more than PC, I don't mind it being smaller. It isn't that much smaller, but would be a difference when not being held in the hands.

@mccabeio @jwiskowski @surface @jwiskowski Good "One Week w Surface 3 write up. Assume ur using Mouse w/o Borders for S3 as 2nd screen?

I'm familiar with the app but won't use second screen much. Mouse is for when I travel.

In your write up you mentioned "At home it is my couch and bed companion.  I also find it fits nicely next to my monitor and is used as a second screen".  In which case I was wondering is it really just a second pc/device, or used as a second screen in a multi-monitor set-up.

Mouse Without Borders (Microsoft Garage app) let's you use one mouse/keyboard across multiple devices so you can set your Surface next to the one (or two monitors) you have on your desk and use one mouse/keyboard across the devices.  While it's not a second monitor of your main PC you, can cut/paste across the devices and is a great way to extend the use of your Surface.  It's a desktop app vs a strore/modern app so won't work on RT but would be a great addition to your S3. 

I actually use it to have mouse/keyboard for my Toshiba Encore 8 which is my current Windows 10 dev preview device.  8" is too small for a functional "second screen" but it's handy to not have to have a separate bt keyboard/mouse on my desk.