RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  

Loc

Hi all,

I was asked by some fellow artist on Google+ to do some test with the new Surface 3 for those on a budget and see if I can run some drawing software on the new Atom processor.

Here's my take on day 1: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LocNguyen1/posts/GDRGK9datcV

Part two, using it over the weekend: https://plus.google.com/+LocNguyen1/posts/jfPYoNJcmM5

How this help...

Loc

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• pcdoc
      By pcdoc
      I just tried the "Back to drawing board" app and it is really cool.  Imagine CAD on a tablet.  Works well with touch but really excels when using you cover or external keyboard and mouse.  I have tried on both WIndows 8 and RT and it works well.  I would not want to edit a super complex drawing on a Surface but it is nice to know you can. 
    • buzzelliart
      By buzzelliart
      Hello everyone,
      I hope not to be OT,
      I am a software developer and I've developed a painting software for windows platform.
      The software also supports Wacom's pen sensitivity to vary size and opacity of brushstrokes.

I was wondering if my software works well on Windows Surface pro, since it seems that the software has some issues with hardwares with integrated graphics cards.

The software is available for free here:
      http://speedypainter.altervista.org/

I would be grateful if someone could test it and send me a feedback about their user experience with the software.
      Thank you all in advance!

Kind regards,
      Andrea

• Loc
      By Loc
      Here's a really neat utilities for all artist that has the Surface Pro. This does work on my Surface Pro.

http://konartist3d.deviantart.com/art/ArtDock-283342420

This is a short-cut keys/menu that you can load with your favorite drawing apps. Highly recommend it.

Note: you will need to install Autohot keys first before the ArtDock will work. Link: http://www.autohotkey.com/

• Handson
      By Handson
      Artdock was my savior on the surface pro 1. It made all things possible for intuitive interaction with 2D/3D art apps. It's unfortunate that it doesn't work on the Surface 3, as so far it's my dream device.

It was suggested that we try "toolbar creator" to replace some of the Autohotkey tools that worked on Surface Pro 1 and 2. That said, it's still does not function as artdock once did. 

Let's ignore for a moment whether certain modifier/click/pen combinations are used for specific actions in certain specific art applications. Thus speaking purely in terms of functionality; I just want to clarify a few things...

What worked on old Surface Pro...
      Using autohotkey/artdock to create a virtual button (or something similar) on the surface pro 1 and 2, it allowed the user to have both finger and pen on the screen and register their action in combination  Is this correct? That sure seems like what I experienced. Thus allowing me to have a true virtual keyboard that worked in sync with a pen. 

Note, when I say virtual keyboard, I'm not just generically saying virtual buttons. I'm saying virtual buttons that played nicely with simultaneous interaction via pen input. No unintuitive toggling, etc. 

What doesn't work on Surface Pro 3...
      On the surface pro 3 you cannot have both pen and finger in combination. The pen overrides touch. Is that the root problem?

People have been saying Ntrig is the issue, is this true? Or is it an issue on the Microsoft side? I remember reading that Microsoft had to custom code a number of things to get wacom working properly with the Surface as they desired. Is it possible they simply were not as thorough with Ntrig implementation?

This toolbar-creator script is certainly rad. Love the customization aspects and the flexibility. But all of that doesn't fix the root problem that worked so smoothly in the old artdock/autohotkey tools. The fact that pen and touch played nicely in combination.

What is technically preventing functionality that allows touch/pen to work in unison. Is the problem with Autohotkey? Microsoft? Ntrig? I wonder if people are just a little to quick to presume that N-trig is the issue simply because it is not Wacom. 

Are there other programmable "virtual keyboard' options that I may be overlooking?

Very much appreciate any feedback. 

• 5Mike5
      By 5Mike5
      Hello,

I've owned my Surface Pro 3 since Sept 2014 and have used it incessantly.   Love it.

Whilst it is not a deal breaker, I find that My Surface 3 does not hold its tilted position when the screen is tilted to within 10-15 degrees of fully extended.  On a flat table surface, the screen slowly drops down until fully extended. 

I've compared my Surface with a store display model and have found the display model to have a stiffer feel and able to handle the angle with which I'm having trouble.

Has anyone investigated or know whether it is possible to tighten up the stand?  I imagine over time the stand will loosen up even more.

Kind regards,
      Mike