RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
surfaceRT

Anyone Else Have This Issue With Their S3?

surfaceRT

So I have a bunch of music on a microSD card in my Surface 3. I have been having an issue with my Surface 3 in a specific scenario. When I have my Bluetooth headphones connected, the microSD card slot stops responding shortly after the screen turns off. (usually within a minute or two of audio playback) If I wake up the device, I cannot navigate to the microSD card. It shows up, but when I try to open the drive it just spins until I manually eject it and put it back in. 

So I was thinking that maybe the microSD card was bad. But when I use a wired headset, I never have a problem and everything works as expected. I can listen to hours of music on the microSD card without issue. Does anyone else have a microSD card and some Bluetooth headphones they can try this out with? I have a Bluetooth speaker I am going to try out today when I get home to see if I can replicate it there as well.

yodafett

Sounds like a the Bluetooth is turning off to conserve power.  In device manager , Right click on Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth radio adapter and uncheck allow to turn off to conserve power

surfaceRT

I have been able to replicate this with a Bluetooth speaker as well. Its definitely not the Bluetooth turning off, as I had already tried unchecking the conserver power checkbox for the Bluetooth radio. My microSD where all my music is stops responding during audio playback with a Bluetooth device connected.

I copied some of my music to the internal drive, and it works fine there - to add to that, even when I am not using the microSD card it stops responding when the screen turns off - only when a Bluetooth device is connected. All other times it works fine no problem.  Am I the only one with this issue??

surfaceRT

Oh, couple more things. This is the same microSD card that I had in my RT device that I never have had any issues with. The card works flawlessly on that device with the same Bluetooth devices attached. Over the weekend I put the card back in the RT and used my Bluetooth devices all weekend with no issue.

surfaceRT

So I am suspecting an issue with the 128GB PNY microSD card I have. I tried out a different 8GB microSD card and put some music on it. I connected my Bluetooth devices and didn't see any issues for the hour or so I was messing around with it.

Is anyone else using a 128GB PNY microSD in their Surface 3?

surfaceRT

So I have found a bunch of people that have had similar issues with the Surface Pro 3. It seems like some of the microSD cards are too thin and are causing issues with the contacts not staying connected. I added some tape to the card this morning to thicken it up and am waiting to see if the issue comes back.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro3-surfusingpro/sd-card-not-recognized-after-waking-up-surface-pro/c0e5b916-deba-4e67-96c7-20226f28f13f?page=6

surfaceRT

Looks like a little bit of tape to thicken up the microSD card did the trick. Added 4 layers of clear tape to the top of the card and the issue is gone now. Hopefully this will help someone else out who comes across this.