RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Onenote Vs Onenote2013

Joe_Miner

I now have OneNote & OneNote2013 -- seems a bit redundant

My instincts have me using onenote2013 just because it is part of my office 2013 - am I missing something?  ;)

CommonTek

OneNote (non dated) is the Modern, hyper touch focused, version.    OneNote 2013 is the traditional desktop version.

If you look at your start menu/app list, you will see that the non dated version of OneNote is in the alpha apps list (like the modern apps) under O, but the OneNote 2013 is specifically under the Microsoft Office listing.   

It's really a preference, OneNote (non dated) is good for tablet mode, OneNote 2013 is better for traditional keyboard input. 

Edited by CommonTek
  • Like 1

fuegosurf

I have been using OneNote since it came out in the early 2000s. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the 2013 version allows you to pinch and zoom while the other one does not. That is a big deal for me because of the way I use it to tutor math and the way I use it to take notes.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I can't figure out how to open an existing OneNote file in metro. I don't see an open browse option.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

pfinter

tap the three bars in the upper left corner. Here is a good compare between the two:

I think it looks in OneDrive Documents for workbooks or shortcuts to workbooks.

Nice comparison document for the basics.  I also use both versions of OneNote. It depends on the situation. I use OneNote 2013 for when I have a keyboard attached and I am working on something that I am doing a lot of formatting, researching and clipping some images but not the entire app or webpage. I find the options are easier and faster to access using the ribbon then the spiral menu of the Metro app OneNote version.

However, when I don't have a keyboard and mouse attached, I use OneNote.  When I take notes in a lecture situation or when I have a split screen and have reference material on one side and OneNote on the other, I find I prefer the OneNote over OneNote 2013.  The ribbon just takes up too much space on the tablet screen and having to hide and un-hide it is annoying. The metro and spiral menu works better for me in this situation. Plus, being able to resize the split easily, works great.  For example I will take notes during the sermon at my church. I will have a bible app taking 3/4's of my tablets screen and OneNote on the remaining 1/4. I treat OneNote like some people will treat the margin of their bibles (if that makes sense to you) except, I will type out notes with bullets and even copy scripture from the Bible app. It works great!

• Like 2

schoondoggy

Nice comparison document for the basics.  I also use both versions of OneNote. It depends on the situation. I use OneNote 2013 for when I have a keyboard attached and I am working on something that I am doing a lot of formatting, researching and clipping some images but not the entire app or webpage. I find the options are easier and faster to access using the ribbon then the spiral menu of the Metro app OneNote version.

However, when I don't have a keyboard and mouse attached, I use OneNote.  When I take notes in a lecture situation or when I have a split screen and have reference material on one side and OneNote on the other, I find I prefer the OneNote over OneNote 2013.  The ribbon just takes up too much space on the tablet screen and having to hide and un-hide it is annoying. The metro and spiral menu works better for me in this situation. Plus, being able to resize the split easily, works great.  For example I will take notes during the sermon at my church. I will have a bible app taking 3/4's of my tablets screen and OneNote on the remaining 1/4. I treat OneNote like some people will treat the margin of their bibles (if that makes sense to you) except, I will type out notes with bullets and even copy scripture from the Bible app. It works great!

Same here!

On a tablet I am using OneNote more and I use OneNote 2013 when I set down at my desktop to organize and clean up my notes.

fuegosurf

The pinch and zoom feature is a deal breaker for me. I didn't have touch with my old Toshiba pen only convertible tablets and OneNote that I have been using since 2005 without the feature. But, after using the pinch and zoom feature once, I got hooked on it.[edited]

Edited by SurfaceGeek
Mod Edit

jhunter3

@pfinter: which Bible app are you using? I'm assuming it's an online app--I downloaded the olivetree suite but I can't open another window with it when it's running.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I use the youversion bible. It is the beat one i have seen. At least for my requirements: Versions I like, voice, devotions, daily verse, etc.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

• Like 1