RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

A Question About The Mini Displayport Vs. The Ms Wireless Display Adapter

Rod at home

So now I'm wondering whether or not to get a Mini DisplayPort cable for less than $10, or pay $60 for the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter (MWDA). Naturally I'm going to have to turn my TV around to see if there's a USB plug close enough for me to justify the MWDA, and if there isn't then of course I'll get the Mini DisplayPort.

But the whole question is, can this brand spanking new Surface manage broadcasting HD to my TV via a Mini DisplayPort?

schoondoggy

What brand and model is your TV?

troughley

It drives 1080p using the MiniDisplay port without issue, however will say I used the MWDA without issue as well. Actually like that a little better due to no wires between the Surface and HD Display.

Rod at home

schoondog, I have an older Vizio TV. It's nice, displays HD fine, but it is older than the current crop of  smart TVs. My TV has no independent access to the Internet, it's unaware of things like Netflix, etc. However that's really no problem because I've got a Roku 3. So a smart TV really isn't necessary for me. It also has 4 HDMI connectors to it, so taht's why I'm interested in knowing whether or not the Mini DisplayPort will work between my new Surface 3 and my TV.

I do agree with you, troughley, that I'd rather have the MWDA. But it is $60.

troughley

Mini Display Port Adapters come in multiple forms [VGA / DVI / HDMI] As long as your TV has a port that is one of these three it should work without an issue. I use a VGA to Mini Display Port Adapter with a cable to extend my desktop without an issue with the Surface 3. Does a good job, however Monitors are a little better with text.

• Like 1

fuegosurf

I have used the miniport cable, a cheap $25 miracast adapter, and today the MS adapter ($53 on Amazon). The miniport to HDMI cable works just fine on my HD TV and my projector at work. The sound goes right through to the TV and the projector with no tweaking involved. The cheap Amazon adapter was pure doo-doo which took a couple of hours of setting up and then the video would just freeze. Not to mention, it required that you start an application to get it going. The MS adapter just plain works out of the box and there are no wires! I love it, where was this technology and the

battery life of the Surface 3 ten years ago?

• Like 2