RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Can You Write To The Microsd Card With The Surface 3?

LibbyLA

Because the micro SD card is removable media, so Windows can't be sure that it will always be there to write on.

• Like 1

DLCPhoto

I guess that makes some sense, but that should be my problem to worry about. I mean how hard would it be to simply ask for another location if the default one isn't available??

thelilgeek

You would think that it should be your problem if your drive isn't connected. However, if I set it up like that for my mom, and the drive failed, or the drive was removed for some reason, she wouldn't have a clue what to do. That is who Microsoft has to design their OS for to stay at #1.

DLCPhoto

You would think that it should be your problem if your drive isn't connected. However, if I set it up like that for my mom, and the drive failed, or the drive was removed for some reason, she wouldn't have a clue what to do. That is who Microsoft has to design their OS for to stay at #1.

On a practical level, I think you're probably right.  But there should still be a way for an advanced user to over-ride the default settings when necessary.  My $.02 worth, anyway.

schoondoggy

One interesting note on this.  I have a Sandisk 64gb MicroSD in there, and can write to it without difficulty, except:

I wanted to configure it so that when I plugged in my camera, the import function would bring files to my micro SD card.  When I gave it a location for this (through windows explorer), it said I couldn't designate that location for the import (I forget the exact wording, but that was the bottom line).  I could point it to a different location on the C: drive, but it wouldn't let me designate a folder on the MicroSD card.

Anybody have any reason that this would be the case?

There are several topics on the internet related to this. I think if you get libraries on the card you should be able to use it as you want:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-micro-sd-libraries-and-metro-style-apps

• Like 1

DLCPhoto

There are several topics on the internet related to this. I think if you get libraries on the card you should be able to use it as you want:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-micro-sd-libraries-and-metro-style-apps

Very interesting - thanks for the link.  That information may come in handy down the road.

I'll just use a Card Reader, and a different program that I've used on other computers, to facilitate the download.  It's USB 3.0, so it should be faster than downloading directly from the camera.  But the work-around he talks about there could be useful in other contexts, so I appreciate your posting it here.