RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Can You Write To The Microsd Card With The Surface 3?

Rod at home

I am very seriously considering getting a Surface 3. I see that it has a slot for a microSD card. If I got such a card, then could I write something to it from the Surface 3? For example, I still have a Zune HD (hey, stop laughing), and would like to move my Zune music library to the Surface 3. I'm concerned that it might not come with enough memory to do that, so was thinking that it has a microSD card slot, can I save all of my music, videos and whatnot that I use with my Zune, onto the microSD when it's plugged into the Surface 3?

WolfJT

You can write to the card with no problem. That's the great thing about the Surface tablet, whichever version you have. The SD Card and USB slots work just as you think they should.

Edited by WolfJT
  • Like 1

pfinter

I have done this with both my Surface RT and a Nokia 2520. Xbox Music will handle music stored on the SD card.

I am very seriously considering getting a Surface 3. I see that it has a slot for a microSD card. If I got such a card, then could I write something to it from the Surface 3? For example, I still have a Zune HD (hey, stop laughing), and would like to move my Zune music library to the Surface 3. I'm concerned that it might not come with enough memory to do that, so was thinking that it has a microSD card slot, can I save all of my music, videos and whatnot that I use with my Zune, onto the microSD when it's plugged into the Surface 3?

You can write to the card with no problem. That's the great thing about the Surface tablet, whichever version you have. The SD Card and USB slots work just as you think they should.

• Like 1

Rod at home

This is such great news! So then I guess the only thing is to be sure to set up whatever music program we'll use, to run against the microSD card. Man, I can hardly wait! I pre-ordered it this past weekend and got an email that they've shipped it! I feel like a little kid on Christmas day. :)

troughley

You can link it in XBOX Music / Video / Documents through the Settings View. Works like a charm.

• Like 1

fuegosurf

It works just fine. I have a 16gb card in my right now. I don't know the largest size that will work.

• Like 1

pfinter

My Surface RT and Nokia 2520 took a 64GB card.  My understanding is Surface 3 should take a 128GB card.

• Like 1

Rod at home

It works just fine. I have a 16gb card in my right now. I don't know the largest size that will work.

According to Microsoft's webpage the Surface 3 should take up to 128 GB microSD card.

DLCPhoto

One interesting note on this.  I have a Sandisk 64gb MicroSD in there, and can write to it without difficulty, except:

I wanted to configure it so that when I plugged in my camera, the import function would bring files to my micro SD card.  When I gave it a location for this (through windows explorer), it said I couldn't designate that location for the import (I forget the exact wording, but that was the bottom line).  I could point it to a different location on the C: drive, but it wouldn't let me designate a folder on the MicroSD card.

Anybody have any reason that this would be the case?