RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Who Is Preordering?

surfaceRT

Just curious who on here is going to pre-order the Surface 3. I wanted for wait to order for more detailed reviews to come out before I pre ordered, but I went ahead anyways. Given that this is the first device to use the new Atom x7 processor, hopefully it performs better than some other Atom products I have owned. My biggest concerns are around performance and battery life. Over the weekend I spent a little bit of time at the Microsoft store to check out the Surface 3. I used the device for a little while opening and using various modern and desktop apps. The keyboard was very similar to the type cover 2 on my RT, and the track pad was pretty much the same as the Pro 3 type cover.  I was pleasantly surprised at the overall responsiveness of the device. For me, I am looking for something to replace my RT with the ability to run desktop applications, and "maybe" some Visual Studio so I can finally finish my app as time at my home desktop is limited right now. I love the instant on of my RT and the battery life I get from it, but miss some of the desktop apps I would like to run.

While I am still waiting for more in depth reviews to come out from people who got the demo units, I went ahead and pre ordered the 128GB version with a type cover in the store. In case anyone doesn't know going into the Microsoft store you can pre order without anything other than your name, phone number, and email. Then on launch day you can go purchase it if you want to. They told me you have about 5 days to come pick it up before they will sell it to someone else. So if you are on the fence, you can preorder at least have one reserved on launch day with no commitments. Who is going to pre order?

I will buy a Surface 3, but I will wait for the 128GB-4GB-LTE version. Now I feel like I need to get a Surface 2 so I can say I have all three!

I will buy a Surface 3, but I will wait for the 128GB-4GB-LTE version. Now I feel like I need to get a Surface 2 so I can say I have all three!

As my kids would have said.  "Gotta catch them all!"

• Like 1

Actually, I am contemplating the Best Buy promo deal to get a Surface Pro 3.  You get a minimum of $50 by trading in another tablet (Surface RT 64gb was $89. They didn't have a listing for a Nokia 2520) PLUS a coupon worth $150. So, you can get at least $200 off if the the tablet you're trading in is working.

Seems to me that this would be a better deal to trade up to the Surface Pro 3 i3 64gb instead of the Surface 3 Atom 64gb.

SP3 i3, 4GB RAM, 64GB is:       $799 - $200 = $599

Surface 3, 2GB RAM, 64GB is:                         $499

Surface 3, 4GB RAM, 128GB is:                       $599

Surface 3 has slower memory, SSD and processor. The pen is not included as well.

Can purchase extra microSD for additional memory. For either device. But, storage is not a concern as I use OneDrive and I have an external drive too. 

Keep hearing the SP3 i3 is the best overall performer because it doesn't get the throttling issue the other SP3's have.  I don't need a monster laptop for home. And I have a license for Office 2010 already. Though year subscription to Office 365 comes with Surface 3 (don't know about SP3).

Thinking about one for the wife.  She has looked at the Surface Pro 3 and liked it.  CPU wise she would be fine.  Might need to wait for the 128 GB SSD though. 

Just not sure if the slightly smaller screen would be a problem for her.  What ever we get it would be a smaller screen, she currently has a 17" laptop. 

Also the pen being extra kinda sucks when compared to the I3 version of the Surface Pro 3.  She is the artist type and the pen appeals to her.

I will wait for the 4. If the new processor is slower than pro 3 then I will probably get that.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk