RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Surface 3 On Surface Geeks Is Here!

Dave

Surface Geeks Postcast episode 89 is all about Surface 3.

http://surfacegeeks.net/surface-3-on-surface-geeks-89.html

We have a new Surface! Surface 3 is here and we have all you need to know about it! Ok, maybe not everything but both John and I have some serious hands on time with it and can't wait to tell you about it.  You can get hands on as well. Head to your local Microsoft Store and take a look.

I have a ton of photographs and details about using it so stay tuned for a full review later. (as per MS I have to hold back a little bit) But don't fret, all the details are out about Surface 3, you can pre-order Surface 3 - Pre-Order now, and all the specs on at that link as well. Go get hands on and then order!

• Like 1

Dan1488993270

I'm still running my Surface Pro 1 and have been waiting to upgrade.  The Surface 3 sounds great, but I'm not sure it would be much of an upgrade from my existing i5 with 128 GB.

What does anyone else think out there?

pfinter

I walked into Best Buy and saw the Surface 3 on the display counter. The Microsoft Rep in the store didn't realize that one of his counterparts had put it out. The device wasn't completely configured as the Rep who originally set it up had not completed the setup process (on lunch break) but, I was able to play with the surface pen on a couple of apps other than OneNote (very frustrating that the machine was ready to be fully played with). 

I was pretty impressed compared to my Surface RT and Nokia 2520. There seems to be a big improvement. The UI seemed to be very responsive. The model I was looking at was a 2gb with 64gb SSD. Coming from the tablets I mentioned, I would be very pleased with this tablet. My concern however, is that I might need the 4gb RAM.  Also, since this is a full version of windows, I was concerned that the 64gb might be a bit confining (I get that I can add a microSD card). The keyboard was much better than the Type 2 keyboard that my Surface RT sports. 

Since I was fence sitting on getting the SP3 i3, I was still trying to determine which device would work best for me. Perhaps I'll wait until the LTE option becomes available. Though I could share my Internet connection from my phone, I hate to have the battery used by two devices.

Qushery

loved the show :-) 

I look forward to the next show where you can talk freely about it 

assistivetek

I just wonder what the battery life will be for normal use- I think I'm getting 6-7 hours Brian

tbyers31

I stopped by the local Microsoft store.  They have a bunch of Surface 3's and they were very nice.  After listening to the podcast I was curious about the keyboard differences with the SP3 type cover.  I couldn't notice a difference in how pinchy or not either was.  They seemed very solid to me.  The smaller keyboard has a thinner bezel (if that's the right word) so the keys aren't really much smaller than those on the SP3.

jakegu3

Man, I want one of these so bad for school.  Halfway through my degree program and looking to take notes in Onenote and then pop into other full blown programs occasionally as needed.  I really wanted a SP3, but this is looking to be closer to my price range and the reduced size seems like a plus in my case.

I saw the Surface 3 in the background while watching the podcast (noticed the new logo on the back), and it was driving me crazy the whole time.  I guess I need to drop in at best buy or the Microsoft store and take a look for myself.

Edited by jakegu3

ImTheTypeOfGuy

So why are these not called pro. Is it just the hardware differences.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

pfinter

So why are these not called pro. Is it just the hardware differences.

You are correct.  

Originally, the Surface RT's/Surface 2's used different hardware and ran a completely different version of the Windows OS then the original Surface Pro's/Surface Pro 2's. The hardware SoC (system on a chip), for the Surface RT's/Surface 2's, was the same type that was used in your smart phone. This promised to provide greater battery life than anything the was being produced by Intel.  However, the trade off for switching the processor was that those systems running Windows RT could not run traditional PC applications like Quicken or iTunes, etc... The only software that would run on these machines were free or paid for apps from the Windows Store. 

Poor marketing and implementation of the Windows RT OS caused confusion and lots of ill will. If you understood the limitations, you generally liked the devices. However, shortly afterwards 3rd party OEM's starting bringing out devices running with the then latest versions of the Intel Atom processor. They were put up against the Surface RT/2 devices and had similar if not better performance, battery life AND they could run traditional PC application like Quicken or iTunes, etc... costing about the same.

Today, Surface 3 and Surface Pro 3 are more similar then the Surface RT/2 and Surface Pro/2. Both use the Intel Chipsets for choice of processors. The Surface 3 uses the latest version of the Intel Atom (Cherrytrail) processor. This is the fastest Atom processor to date. The Surface Pro 3 uses your choice of Intel's Core I3/I5/I7 processors. Additionally, the type of RAM and storage is different as well. Surface 3 gets a slower memory option. However, this option is still faster than an HDD on a laptop. Surface Pro 3 has a much, much faster SSD storage solution.

In trying to determine which is right for you, you have to understand your use case for the device. Both devices are portable and light. However, the Surface 3 will be more for casual to light duty user and the Surface Pro 3 with be more for medium to high duty. I suspect that most people will not need the power of the Surface Pro 3. 

I currently use both a Surface RT and Nokia 2520 (similar in specs to the Surface 2) as personal devices. I can do most everything I need to get done, on either of these two devices (with the exception of Quicken, which I will then blow the dust off of my old laptop or desktop to accomplish). The portability of these devices makes them exceptional values for working on MS Office documents and browsing the internet or reading books from Barnes and Noble or Kindle or even my local library. I've used them in lieu of a laptop in meetings and presentations and never felt like I brought a knife to a gun fight. In this use case, upgrading to the Surface 3 is probably a no-brainer.

In my professional life as a computer programmer, I wouldn't hesitate one second in picking up a Surface Pro 3, if my company would allow me to choose my computer. As a developer, I'm sure I would go crazy waiting on an Intel Atom based system like a Surface 3 to complete the turn around I've come to expect in my profession. Plus, I have so many applications and multiple browsers and browser windows open AND switch between, that I would probably cause the Surface 3 to roll over and die.

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Wow, I didn't expect a dissertation. Thanks.