RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Text, Markings From Stylus Unstable, Jumping In Pdf Docs

Wallaby

Hi,

I've got a problem with using my stylus annotate PDF documents. I got my Surface Pro 2 primarily for the utility of being able to 'write' on/annotate pdf documents. I'm a PhD candidate and I download hundreds of journal articles in pdf form from academic providers. I've noticed that in a significant number of the documents I download, when I try to write at a specific place on the document, such as when I want to underline a particular line or write a note adjacent to specific text, whatever I write "jumps" approximately two lines below the point of where the stylus nib contacted the document. 

This problem makes using the feature extremely difficult. I have to attempt to 'underline' starting a couple of lines above the text I actually want underlined. I can't write in print form at all because each time I write a letter and lift the nib the letter immediately jumps below the point where I write and then I have to estimate where to put the next letter. Usually, what I've written is indecipherable, and if I try to write entirely in running writing with the stylus the result is equally indecipherable. 

I spent several hours in a chat session with a Microsoft support person to no avail. We downloaded a new driver for the stylus but it made no difference.

I tend to think the problem is specific to certain PDF documents - possibly something to do with how some are formatted compared to others. I have nowhere near enough understanding of such matters to be able to go any further without help to resolve this problem. I hope it is resolvable, because the only alternative I have if it's not is to start printing journal articles out and marking them manually, which I hoped to stop doing by getting the Surface, because of the enormous cost and amount of paper used. 

I tried to upload a short video to illustrate, but the page won't let me do it.

Any smart geeks got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Wallaby

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ebot
      By ebot
      This is an advice posting, but I'll try to make the journey to the question a little diverting.

I'm a casual scribbler. I love drawing; love comic books, but I've never derived an income, it's always just something I've done to have fun.

I spend most of my time in IT in one form or another. I have some graphic design experience (studied it 20 years ago)... Purchased my first Wacom tablet for some crazy amount of money, but I could never get past the cognitive dissonance of drawing on a surface while watching the screen somewhere else.

At one point I owned a Cintiq 12x? the little one... I replaced it with a first gen iPad, because I can't sit for long periods at a desk (busted spine) and I don't like being tethered in general.

I fell in love with Adobe Ideas. Being able to freehand vectors (Macromedia! Woo!) and apply lighting effects via semi-transparent layers: Awesome.   

Then I repaced the iPad with an iPad 2 for the additional grunt and cameras (Facetime my folks).

Until the ipad 2, I drew with a stubby Wacom bamboo stylus. The end of the first gen iPad started a journey of disappointment as I went on to purchase and become disillusioned with around 15 different styluses.

A combination of no palm rejection and no decent Initial Activation Force (IAF - a term that describes a problem I've always had but couldn't articulate)... At the end of the iPad 2 era, I was mostly happy with a Maglus.

Then along came the iPad Air. The change in display tech (in the Air) made all my existing iPad styli mostly useless, including the Maglus.

So I splurged on a battery-powered Evernote(branded) Bluetooth fine point stylus... And spent the next 12 months getting angry at it (because it was mechanically faulty and I didn't gather up the guts to confirm/replace it).

Eventually I did, and the replacement is okay... But in the meantime I picked up an Apex - no Bluetooth, still no pressure sensitivity...  But all I cared about was IAF and having a non-stubby tip. If I'm writing notes in a meeting or just mucking around, I want every contact between pen and display to register, not some: It's irritating to have to 'rewrite' letters because the hardware didn't register the strike-though on a 't'.

I gave up drawing on the iPad air. I still co-draw stuff with my 4 year old daughter, but we mainly use our fingers (Artrage+finger painting = fun).    

Then this year, I was looking for a cheap windows 8 tablet to install Steam, so I could stream/play PC games on the couch while my wife watches bad TV.

I picked up an Ausus VivoTab Note 8 (32Gig) for $200 on Amazon, funnily enough, because it has Wacom tech in it. 'Turns out I really like scribbling in OneNote. The lines look lovely and it seems like you have an infinite canvas size(?) - you just keep drawing and scrolling.

I purchased a $40 copy of Manga Studio, because I miss layers.

When the Wacom tech works, its... Fantastic. I don't mind the little stylus; a couple of days a week I catch the train to work (cycle most of the time) and I can knock out a few quick sketches.

I'd forgotten how much joy I derive from it.

But then: On the AVN8, the stylus goes nuts along one corner, and every now and then a 3cm area on the stylus will 'go dead' - usually fixed by a restart of the device - but annoying when it happens. I've read enough forum posts to know that there's no such thing a working AVN8, just varying levels of not working, so replacing it isn't really an option.

My question:
      Do I spurgle on a SP3? Sight unseen, Do you think I'll get annoyed by the increased IAF required?

Do I go look for a SP2? Do I run the risk of getting one with dodgy Wacom tech in it - Until the AVN8, I didn't know there was dodgy Wacom tech- is there another Manufacturer I should consider? My requirements are:

be a capable Steam Home streaming client
      be light (relatively)
      Not have a resolution so high and a screen so small that I can't make out anything
      have 6+ hours battery life
      Not be crazy expensive
      has inking tech that will register fine touches (see: fast notetaking)
      not have dodgy corners or dead spots, temporary or permanent
      Have nice (Agnes Nutter nice I mean) software.

Please note that my life doesn't depend on a perfect solution, I do fine as a low level Database administrator. I just like drawing (even more than playing videogames I finally realise)

Thanks btw for existing, Surface pro artist. The recent stuff about the N-trig hub software is very informative.

Cheers.
    • math
      By math
      I just got the Surface Pro 3 a couple weeks ago. I have an issue that comes and goes.

What happens is that if I draw a small line, it looks like a dot and a dash rather than a complete line. If I draw multiple lines in a row, they all look like that. When I try to fill in the area where the line randomly dropped out, it is impossible. So basically the screen is suddenly peppered with small areas that cannot be drawn on or won't register the pen. In some occasions drawing a small line will result in a curve instead of a line. Writing a word for example would look like a series of random curves, dots, and dashes.

It seems like this mostly happens on the bottom third of the screen, and when the issue occurs it resolves itself after a few minutes.

I've had the issue in every drawing program I use: Onenote, Photoshop, and Clipstudio. I only have a handful of apps on my surface.

Could this possible be a hardware issue? Maybe I should return it while I still can!
    • draa
      By draa
      Hello everyone! 

Did some research and decided to purchase a surface pro 2 over a cintiq companion. I wanted something portable and more casual and I'm hoping this will fulfill my needs. Hopefully will arrive in a day or two !

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I'm assuming everyone puts a screen protector on their Surface. Is the screen easily prone to scratches using the included stylus? Any recommendations on which ones I should look out for since there are so many? I noticed the Microsoft store sells the privacy and self-healing incipios. Are there any that would somehow interfere with the sensitivity to the stylus input...?

Any chance that...an old wacom graphire 3 tablet pen would work with these guys, what exactly makes the pen compatible? The driver? 

I didn't buy a keyboard with mine yet but I was leaning towards the type cover 2, since I really didn't like the lack of actual keys on the touch cover. I heard that they will be releasing a "power cover"? Which is suppose to help with battery life, how bad/good is the battery life at the moment? Any of you looking to invest in one? $199.00 is pretty steep. 

Apologies, I know it's a lot of questions, but I appreciate any input!

• artgenius89
      By artgenius89
      Hello All! I have been having a small problem when using photoshop. When I am drawing with my hand rested on the screen, sometimes the cursor jumps towards the bottom of the screen. I find this a little odd because this doesnt happen in One Note. I dont remember this happening and being a problem several weeks ago but it happen quite often now. 

Is anyone else having this problem? 

Im not sure if its a problem with the tablet or photoshop. I still have a few days to return it and swap it for a new one at the MS Store. 
    • GreatTiger
      By GreatTiger
      I currently have a Toshiba Encore 8 that I really like but I wish it had an active digitizer and pen support.   I like the Dell V8P and the Asus VivoTab Note 8 for the digitizer/pen but they do not have an HDMI port. 

Just wondering if there is an 8-11" Windows 8.1 tablet or convertible device that I'm missing that has the following:
      Bay Trail chip or better HDMI out (any size) Touch screen with digitizer/pen support MicroSD storage Cost less than $500 I *had* the Samsung ATIV 500T Smart PC which had everything I needed except that the Clover Trail chipset was awful for graphics.  It had a built in pen, detachable keyboard, and HDMI out.  It did everything I needed fairly well except graphics for Starry Night astronomy software.

Is there anything new like the ATIV 500T I once had?  If it was the same thing with Bay Trail I would be happy.

Thanks