RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
awraynor

Roku XDS $79.99

awraynor

Just bought the Roku XDS for $80 through a CNET deal. Not sure if it's members only, but give it a try?

http://nl.com.com/view_online_newsletter.jsp?list_id=e435

It does appear you have to be registered, but hey it's free.

Edited by awraynor

awraynor

Roksbox seems interesting, but also a lot of work.

AllToga

Roksbox seems interesting, but also a lot of work.

The big problem with it is the file formats supports, which is actually a limitation of Roku. The Roksbox is able to see a folder of files and present them in a nice UI. Also, if there's a jpg file named the same as the movie file, it'll use the jpg as the album art for the movie. This was the main thing I wanted.

I have children, who like the kids shows and can't read yet. I've converted all of the children's DVDs to single episode M4V files (for iPod Touch compatability). So a DVD that has 4 episodes turns into 4 M4V files. right now there's over 1000 of them.

I used VLC media player to grab a unique screenshot of each show and it automatically named it the correct name so it'll show up as album art.

This is a lot of work, but for me it was an added benefit. I already had the M4V files because I needed them for the iPod. So if I could just get them to stream to a $100 device, it'd be great.

I still haven't found a way to stream my DVD ISO files to my roku, hopefully with cover art.

awraynor

Wow. Good use of a sub $100 box. Going to repurpose an HP Media PC for a Win7 WMC PC to

see if it useful. Then consider building a new smaller form factor setup.