RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
logan1323

Docking Station Issue With External Displays

logan1323

We have several Surface Pro 2's deployed at my company that all use docking stations. Every so often, and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it, the external monitors hooked up to the dock will lose all display capabilities.

I've tried restarting the surface, checking the monitor connections, and running windows updates and made sure all drivers were up to date and current. (Example of one that happened the other day was that one monitor still worked but the other would not. I would go into the Screen Resolution dialogue box and try turning the screen back on but after applying the settings the screen would automatically turn back off. )

The only thing I found to fix the problem is undocking the Surface, unplugging power from the dock, plug the power back in and then re-dock the device. After following these steps the monitors will work fine again.

Like I said, this is an intermittent issue and is hard to replicate but was wondering if this was a known problem or if there is any known fix for it out there??

Thanks in advance for the help.

surfaceRT

I ran into the same issue with a few Surface Pro 1's and the docking station. The only solution that I found that works is to un-dock, power cycle the docking station and re-dock.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ICYDOCK_Chris
      By ICYDOCK_Chris
      ICY DOCK is the leading expert in data storage enclosures and accessories.

Introducing ToughArmor
      ToughArmor is ICY DOCK’s rugged enterprise-grade line of 2.5” SSD and HDD enclosures, utilizing the standard external 5.25” bay, external 3.5” bay (floppy bay), and the slim optical bay (ODD bay). All ToughArmor models feature ruggedized full-metal enclosures and trays, to keep your sensitive data protected, as well as meeting many flammability requirements. It features many high-density storage options, supporting as many as 16x 2.5” drives, or as few as one. Models are available to support SATA, SAS, and now, U.2 NVMe drives, giving you flexibility in choosing drives that work best for you. The strength and build quality of all of our products is backed by a full 3-year warranty against all defects. ToughArmor is used and approved by Tier 1 companies such as Hewlett Packard (HP), General Electric, NASA, as well as the US Armed Forces. For more information on our ToughArmor line, read our ToughArmor documentation here. Links to all of the products discussed here can be found in the documentation. All ToughArmor products can be view here.

ToughArmor for SATA 3.5” / 5.25” Bays
      For SATA and SAS drives installing into 3.5” and 5.25” bays, we have a large number of options available. In the 3.5” bay, there are models that support one to three drives, some with features such as key-lock trays and hardware RAID capabilities. The larger 5.25” bay supports between four and eight drives in a single bay, and up to 16 when using two bays. These denser options offer cooling fans, to keep the large number of drives cool under heavy load. These models have a wide array of uses. The MB991U3-1SB is our portable ToughArmor unit you can take anywhere, and works over USB. The MB992SKR-B is a 2-bay model with a hardware RAID chip, with modes for RAID 0, RAID 1, BIG, and JBOD.

There are also our more traditional drive carriers that install into a single 5.25” bay. While these models don’t have USB support or a RAID chip, they still have direct SATA connections, the full-metal enclosure, and the 3-year warranty.  The 4-bay (MB994SP-4S), 6-bay (MB996SP-6SB), and 8-bay (MB998SP-B) models are perfect for any general applications that require hot-swappable SATA hard drives and SSDs in a dense storage enclosure.

ToughArmor for NVME
      Recently, ICY DOCK has released the first-ever hot-swap cages for U.2 NVMe drives.  U.2 drives use the standard 2.5” size familiar from SATA SSDs, but utilize the NVMe specification allowing for transfer rates of up to 32GB/s. ICY DOCK U.2 NVMe cages come in one and four bay models, and utilize a single Mini-SAS HD connection for each drive. The single-bay model (MB601VK-B) fits in a single 3.5” bay, great for space-limited tasks that require only a single drive.  Small-form-factor systems, DVR systems, and photo/video editing systems can benefit from high-performance storage in a small space. If you need more drives, the 4-bay model (MB699VP-B) is the one for you, and even works great in RAID setups.  These are used in datacenters around the world, that need dense NVMe based storage. Both of these models use a Mini-SAS HD port / cable for each drive, so make sure to prepare your system with enough Mini-SAS HD ports.

ToughArmor for Optical Drive Bays
      ICY DOCK also has several drive cages that fit into slim (12.7mm) and ultra-slim (9.5mm) optical drive bays. These can serve to replace existing drive readers in laptops and desktop systems, and can also be paired with several of our 5.25” bay brackets. Perfect for space-critical applications that require drives to be installed in the smallest possible space. Common uses are in Small-Form-Factor PCs, media PCs, Home Theater PCs (HTPC), and security footage systems. In industrial uses, these are often found in 1U and 2U rack-mounted systems with limited space availability, and portable workstations/laptops.

If you have any questions about the models mentioned here, or anything else, send us an email at tech@icydock.com. We offer first-class customer support for all our products, from pre-purchasing info, product selection help, walking you through installation, and issue troubleshooting. In addition to email, we offer phone and live web-chat customer support, which can be found here.  Our knowledgeable support technicians are available Monday-Friday from 10:00am-5:00pm PST.

• truthsforme
      By truthsforme
      Will the Intel i5 processor used in the surface be able to handle photo editing software like adobe PhotoShop and lightroom? Currently, I'm using an Acer with an AMD e-350 processor and 6gb ram to do photo editing. It takes a little patience because of the rather slow performance. Will the surface pro be considered a step up in terms of performance compared to my Acer? Rough estimate, how much of a performance increase should I expect (2x faster etc.)?

I would hope that they made the surface pro with photographers in mind, why else include a display port as oppose to an HDMI port, lol.

Thanks, regards
    • jez77
      By jez77
      I personally feel after using my Surface for over two weeks that this product is ahead of its time.

Just like Xbox was ahead of its time, when Nintendo and Sony dominated the gaming world and all gamers were like Microsoft can't just buy their way into the gaming industry with a powerful PC.

And they did...

They introduced Xbox Live and had an Ethernet port in the device way before anyone even considered online gaming with a console. High speed internet was just rolling out and then they charged you 50 dollars to play online. They had something there and bought into it and now look at where they are. Now the features that Microsoft created and supported, which people and reviewers then called crazy, expensive, niche have become industry standards for gaming.

Similar to how games were becoming more multiplayer focused such as Goldeneye, WCW/NWO, sports games, Mario kart, super smash brothers, when Microsoft brought the idea of playing online. That niche market of multiplayer, at the time, became the driving force of the gaming industry is today with COD, Halo etc.  
      Now the Surface...why would people want power or productivity in a tablet? Ask the millions of people who bought Apple office suite for Ipad, photoshop app, IPhoto, IMovie all for Ipad. The Surface is where the (at least) 10 in plus screen tablet industry is going. The current Ipad market is all going to the 7 plus inch screen format while the 10 in screen is going to be for productivity. I feel this is a great time to enter as now the focus shifting away from 10in screen form and going to 7in screen form, allowing for the 10in screen to be for productivity and the 7in to be for consumption and games. Similar to the niche market that wants productivity, a keyboard, a full OS, speed, flexibility in the tablet form factor. This is where 10 in plus screen market is going to... productivity, business, home personnel use etc.

A few other examples...

Dare I mention Zune and it subscription based model.. now we have Spotify, Rdio, etc. Time will show that a merge of a laptop and tablet is what everyone wants and needs. The Surface with get thinner, faster and maintain a longer battery life through the iterations to come.
      Microsoft is not perfect  but I trusted them with Xbox and their support for the software, and innovations lead me to believe that the Surface will follow suite as we are just scratching the surface (pun intended) of Microsoft vision of a unified ecosystem.

Now trust me Surface, Windows 8 and the Next Xbox are all going to integrate together, the tools and devices have been planted. I bet the Windows 8 store and Xbox store are going to be similar, if not based on the same architecture. 

RANT BEGIN ( First I am sick of all these doomsday articles of Windows 8 is in dying and Surface is cool but its not selling as much as Microsoft wants. First Windows 8 is an operating system it is not an expansion pack to WOW. The adoption rate will increase as people by PCs for school, home etc. Just because a new OS comes out people do not throw their PC is the garbage or run out to upgrade an old PC (especially when it is not touch screen). The 1st IPAD was a big IPOD touch with a handful of apps such as Netflix, 4 plus generation and minor upgrades later it is a platform.

On a side note I think Apple is in trouble as the magic that they had has gone with the late Steve Jobs, everything since has been pathetic tweaks (I think the punch everyone's been drink is getting a bit sour). I think Microsoft beat Apple to the punch of combining a touch and productive operating system. As Apple has been wasting incremental upgrades trying to make OSX into iOS with the gestures and such, Microsoft went all in with an operating system that can function in both environments, as when as ARM and mobile processors.

I am sorry for my Apple rant but I am fed up with the public notion that everything Apple does is revolutionary. Some of it is, such as the 1st iphone, app ecosystem and 1st and 2nd gen Ipads. Apple will follow suite with a "productivity IPAD" Look how long it took them to release a 128GB (with flash not SSD memory) for A NICE $799. Not expensive though, but a 899 or 999 for full PC in the form of a tablet.. too expensive. Total double standard and not the same type of device so stop comparing .. "the verge, engadget.. etc"

Today I downloaded a file from the internet, sent it to my home networked hard drive for backup, sent it wirelessly to my Canon/Brother (any) printer to print (oh not before hand writing a message on the photo), then dragged the file to my attached USB thumb drive to print at Target. I also plan to use the photo to write up Thank You and print them using a Avery printing template... all on my couch with a tablet.

Just think how you would (with Apps.. and cost) or if you could do this with an Ipad. This is why the Surface is in a different league.) END RANT

Well there is my rant, I will have more as I continue to read the internet, follow my tech news and use this wonderful tablet/PC from the future.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!!

Great show SurfaceGeeks, I think you guys do a wonderful job sharing your opinions, advice and knowledge to all us Surface fans out there. Keep up the great work. And I love your tales from the Microsoft Store.. that should be a segment. Ha!
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      I wanted to give a quick review of the Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking Station in use with Surface Pro

The Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking station can be leveraged by any USB 3.0 device, however I have purchased this for use with my Surface Pro.  I really enjoy the portability of my Surface Pro, however it is nice to rip the keyboard off and sit it on my desk and go dual monitor with full keyboard and mouse to rock out those Visio, Word, or Power Point documents.  This device can be bought at Amazon at the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-UD-3000-Docking-2048x1152-Ethernet/dp/B008N06I2I?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ27KPV45VTL2XA5Q&tag=plugabltechno-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B008N06I2I

The docking station has the following ports:
      4 USB 2.0 Ports 2 USB 3.0 Ports 1 Headphone 1 Mic 1 DVI 1 10/100/100 Ethernet Port The device comes with converters for DVI to HDMI or SVGA.  It also comes with the USB 3.0 cable required to plug into your device (Surface Pro).  This is impressive as for the price this is a great deal.

I have mine plugged into a secondary monitor using the HDMI converter and am running a full 1080p screen along with my Surface Pro screen in the dual monitor extended mode.  I have seen no issues with video performance.  I wouldn't suggest that you try to play a game on this screen, but it performs well under typical scenarios.

The Ethernet port is working great and I am getting no issue with running at full 1000 Mbs.

Drivers for the device come down from windows update with no issue, however do take a few minutes to install.  Keep in mind the number of ports and devices this is installing so that is understandable.

The device is mostly shiny plasic finish, but looks nice sitting your desk.  The main issues you run into is that the USB and the power are on different sides of the Surface Pro and you still will need an extra power cable if you want to charge while docked.  This can be combersome if you don't do some simple cable management.  The other negative that I have is the size of the power plug of the device.  Unlike the Surface Pro, this device uses one of those huge power converters in the actual plug that can cause you to eat up several ports on a powerstip.  So, try to plan for the one on the end if you don't have one of the ones that accomodates this type of plug well.

Overall, I would give this a 9 out of 10.  It is a great device and works as expected.  There are some things like the power plug that irritate me, but hey it does its job and makes the Surface Pro an awesome desk machine.

Let me know if you guys have any questions about this device and I am happy to run any tests that you might want...

Dewain
    • Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      So, you went out and bought your Surface Pro or RT and you brought it home and thought this is awesome how small these are... Then you walk over to put it in your laptop bag and you are like "WOW this won't work!"  So, I jumped out looking for something that did not eat my Surface like a tiny dog biscuit to a great dane.

So, I found the solution that I was looking for...

Yes boys and girls it is a perfectly sized laptop bag for the Surface RT / Pro.  It is good to note that this thing not only perfectly fits the surface, but all of the other items you might want to bring.  Tons of pockets and zippers and such.

Oh and did I mention that I love the fact that this thing has an awesome orange interior that gives it a little character.  If you like it comes in black and orange as well.

The material is a smooth nylon-like material keeping it from having issues with getting a little wet and stain resistant.  I absolutely love this thing.  I would give some cons, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

Here is the link to allow you to go there now and buy this immediately.  I have had mine for months and I have to say there is nothing else out there that compares... (that I have seen)

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2BD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363393738&sr=8-1&keywords=surface+bag

Happy shopping....

Oh... here is the link for it in black

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Microsoft-Surface/dp/B009RV2EOI/ref=pd_cp_pc_0