RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
5Mike5

It There A Way To Tighten Up The Kickstand?

5Mike5

Hello,

I've owned my Surface Pro 3 since Sept 2014 and have used it incessantly.   Love it.

Whilst it is not a deal breaker, I find that My Surface 3 does not hold its tilted position when the screen is tilted to within 10-15 degrees of fully extended.  On a flat table surface, the screen slowly drops down until fully extended. 

I've compared my Surface with a store display model and have found the display model to have a stiffer feel and able to handle the angle with which I'm having trouble.

Has anyone investigated or know whether it is possible to tighten up the stand?  I imagine over time the stand will loosen up even more.

Kind regards,

Mike

5Mike5

The weakened kickstand could be attributed to using the Stylus a lot.  I'm left-handed and looking at my Surface, it looks like the left-hand hinge is weaker than the right.

In the meantime, I've looked at another demo Surface - and it holds its position at the angles which I mentioned and so I assume it has something to do with use overtime - possibly due to resting your hand on the Surface whilst fully extended in order to write with the stylus. 

humeston

I have not experienced that issue, but I also have not used the Surface at that angle.

Hope you find a solution.

callihan44

I don't use my kickstand at the lowest angle , though it holds very well I just lay the tablet flat if that angle is desired. I have a feeling maybe the kickstand will eventually loosen up a bit over time but not sure how you would fix it...MOre than likely I will have moved onto something else when that time comes

5Mike5

Hi All -

Thank you for your replies.  I've learned from another forum that others are experiencing the issue, but so far the consensus is leaning towards 'minor' issue.  Whilst I'm fairly certain Microsoft would replace the device under warranty, everything else about the device appears to be fine and replacing the device wouldn't be doing the planet any good if the issue simply happened again due to how I use the device day-to-day.

Someone suggested placing small sticky feet onto the edge of the stand to prevent slippage, which I think is an excellent idea for working around the problem.  I'm going to see if I can do something along those lines without ruining the device's aesthetics.

There is no big hurry however as I rarely try to use the device in the problem angle.  My concern was whether my device was an outlier or different in some way, and whether the issue would get worse with time.  I still have another 8 months under warranty so I will keep an eye on it and will report back.

Cheers all.

Mike

5Mike5

In the end, the small sticky feet on the stand edge didn't work as the tablet would then slip where the keyboard connects. 

I have opted for an obvious, low tech option of simply fully extending the Surface to canvas mode then placing whatever object I find nearby to prop up the screen to the appropriate angle.  I suppose as long as the stand can support itself for normal day-to-day viewing angles, I can live with the slight annoyance of extreme angles not working.  I'll see how I feel about it in a couple of months.  No point in replacing the Surface for something that will likely just happen again.

5Mike5

I've haphazardly discovered that an iPad Cover (rubber side up) in portrait mode works as a rubber feet/pad solution to prevent the kick stand slipping down as both the hinge and the Surface base both rest on the cover.