RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
RMansfield

Encore 2 Write

RMansfield

Okay, I've finally found the 8" Windows tablet I've been wanting! I just bought the 8" Toshiba Encore 2 Write (just released during CES) from the Microsoft Store and am very pleased. 

First, it comes with 64 GB of storage. I've always thought 32 GB is not enough for a Windows tablet. Second, the digitizer is from Wacom and the stylus (which includes a 4A battery) works quite naturally--much better than the clunky stylus on my Dell Venue 8 Pro.

I had the original Surface Pro, and it sold me on the idea that a Windows tablet really needs an active/digital stylus. However, I'd been wanting something smaller for carrying around.

This is a great little device, and the price is right, too. It's normally $349, but I got it a bit cheaper with educational pricing. 

My only complaint so far is that I can't find a case/cover that doesn't block the the pen clip on the bottom side corner.

• Like 1

RMansfield

Yes, it covers up the port. Take a look (click on the pictures to get a larger view). Here's the case that comes in the bundle:

Newegg BF.jpg

Now here's my Encore 2 Write from the same side, both with and without the pen:

tigerblackfriday.jpg

WP_000522.jpg

There's no way that case would allow me to attach the pen.

schoondoggy

Wow, you are right. There is no spot for the pen.

CommonTek

I actually thought hard about this as well; been waiting for a device with a true digitizer/pen in this form factor BUT I know if I wait a couple months the price will drop $50-$100 and I can use my education discount to get even more off it.  Plus, while I believe it may be dead for good, I hold out hope for a surface mini with the pen support.

RMansfield

I actually thought hard about this as well; been waiting for a device with a true digitizer/pen in this form factor BUT I know if I wait a couple months the price will drop $50-$100 and I can use my education discount to get even more off it.  Plus, while I believe it may be dead for good, I hold out hope for a surface mini with the pen support.

With my educational discount, I paid $314 before tax. Not bad at all for a 64 GB tablet in my opinion. 

Yes, it's too bad about the fabled Surface Mini. That might've been the smaller tablet many of us were wanting. With all the small Windows tablets that have been released recently--such as the HP Stream 7 and Toshiba Encore 2 Write, both of which I bought--I have to wonder if Microsoft didn't make the decision to pull the Surface mini because all the other vendors promised to make decent smaller Windows tablets if they would. Both the Stream 7 and the Encore 2 Write are really well built (I just don't have as much use for the Stream 7 without an active stylus). 

And I'm not going to remember where I read/heard this, but some of the latest rumors about the Surface mini I heard said they were only going to be RT devices to begin with. Whether that's true or not, who knows; but if it was true, I can't imagine I would have wanted it. Although I had the original Surface RT, I quickly traded up to the Surface Pro to get more capabilities in the same form factor.

RMansfield

Okay, I've figured out a solution for a cover/case for the Encore 2 Write that works fine for the time being. 

First, I ordered this case, made for a regular Encore 2, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMPZ9TK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The main problem with this case is the same with all cases that might work for the Encore 2 Write--the case covers the slot where the pen slides in place. 

So I got some wire cutters and modified the case so that the bottom end is open, and I can now properly dock the pen in place. When I first started cutting, I was afraid that I was simply ruining the case and had wasted my money. However, the final product came out pretty good (if I do say so myself!). I still need to sand a couple of the rough spots down a little bit, but I could imagine that to the unsuspecting eye this case simply looks like it came this way to begin with. 

DSC_0071-rs.jpg

01CreateVHD.JPG

02SelectDrobo.JPG

I have a hunch that Toshiba wanted to release this tablet in time for CES and did so without any supporting accessories. In fact, I've discovered that I cannot even order an extra stylus as a replacement if mine were to get damaged or lost. That makes me a bit uncomfortable, but hopefully I can buy an extra as well as a case made specifically for the Encore 2 Write sometime in the future. 

Kyran

Loved your review, and the discussion on the Surface geeks podcast.

Question for you:

I bought the 10 inch version. Was loving it.... until I started getting little serious. Dropbox was taking FOREVER to sync.

Did some speed tests Speedtest.net found that the speeds were as low, like 1-0.5 low. Until... I unpaired my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. 

Turning off the bluetooth jumped up my wifi speeds, better than I was getting on my desktop and laptop.

But as soon as I turned on bluetooth, it dies again.

I've tried everything, new drivers... googled it. Seems like the best fix is to use a 5ghz wifi signal.. but that doesn't seem like a real fix to me. 

So I'm sending it back.

I've fallen in love with the tablet and Onenote. So I'm hoping that its rather, I have a bad unit, or its just the 10 inch.

Would you be able to confirm that this isn't (or maybe is?) an issue on the 8 inch version please?

Thank you!

troughley

Really interested in this device, need a nice tablet that is a little smaller, love the size of the iPad Mini but need to keep to the Windows Platform. May need to take a look at this one with the pen.

schoondoggy

Loved your review, and the discussion on the Surface geeks podcast.

Question for you:

I bought the 10 inch version. Was loving it.... until I started getting little serious. Dropbox was taking FOREVER to sync.

Did some speed tests Speedtest.net found that the speeds were as low, like 1-0.5 low. Until... I unpaired my bluetooth keyboard and mouse. 

Turning off the bluetooth jumped up my wifi speeds, better than I was getting on my desktop and laptop.

But as soon as I turned on bluetooth, it dies again.

I've tried everything, new drivers... googled it. Seems like the best fix is to use a 5ghz wifi signal.. but that doesn't seem like a real fix to me. 

So I'm sending it back.

I've fallen in love with the tablet and Onenote. So I'm hoping that its rather, I have a bad unit, or its just the 10 inch.

Would you be able to confirm that this isn't (or maybe is?) an issue on the 8 inch version please?

Thank you!

Can you check Device Manager to see what WiFi chip they are using?