RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microsoft Services

WolfJT

Microsoft has a bunch of outstanding services that no one seems to know or care about. Case in point, I was using Live Mesh for instance years ago for syncing my docs and I didn't know anyone else that used it. My son in law is a .net programmer and last year found dropbox. I set my daughter up with Skydrive year before that and neither of them realized that they already had a cloud service. The company I work for uses Office 365, everyone still insist on using dropbox and sending files via email instead of using their own Skydrive that is part of 365. Is it MS that doesn't market well or do people just ignore MS all together? I can't figure it out.

It is a few issues.  Marketing is part of it, but naming is a bigger issue.  We have had live mesh, then skydrive, and now one drive.  If you have business Office365 plan you have One Drive, but a different one drive.....which actually is sharepoint...or actually what was Groove.  Look at Outlook(dot)com vs. Outlook that comes with Office or exchange online. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be slapped in the face.

Dropbox has been dropbox for years now.  It was one of the first mainstream, cross platform (huge as it came in with the iPhone/smartphone revolution).  As we move into future I think we will see people using OneDrive, iCloud, and Google drive.....because these will be the free baked in options with each OS.  

Microsoft also has perception issues that go back to the 90's when they were the big bad bully putting little Netscape out of business.  While the masses might not remember that, many VCs and developers do and still won't work with MS.  Huge issue that is not talked about.