RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
TMorss

Surface Pro 3 Lock Ups

TMorss

I purchased a Surface Pro 3 about a week ago. It is the 256 i5 8gb of Ram model. I have liked the machine so far with the exception of some strange hitches. The other day the fans spun up and I could not figure out why. There was not a lot of things open. I check for updates and performed all available updates and it seemed to be quite again.

Later that day I had 1 explorer window open and I walked away. I came back to find the screen kind of dim and the entire system was locked up. I had to hold the power button down and completely reset the system.

Tonight again I was on the system just browsing a website through Internet Explorer and all of the sudden the scrolling would not respond. The page would partially load and the fans again spun up. I could not close IE and the system was crawling. I checked for updates and only a defender definition update was there.

I am getting frustrated with these weird lock ups.  I can usually have outlook, one note, chrome, and few other things going and it is fine. Then sometimes its like it cannot handle a simple webpage. Any idea of what is causing this?

I have checked for updates from the metro side as well as control panel. The only AV I run is Windows Defender.

TMorss

The last thing that I forgot is the settings app will crash as well. I will go into and check for updates and it will crash and kick me back to the metro desktop. I just opened it a second ago to check something and it crashed me back to the Metro Desktop for no reason.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I would start by resetting (probably not the correct term) it to factory and start over.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

TMorss

Update: I did the refresh to the system. When I rebooted and checked it said there was a Firmware Update. I am guessing that was missing before the restore, there were about 47 updates total when I did it. After that was done I checked windows update in the control panel and found 3 optional 8.1 updates totaling about 850mb. I am currently doing those right now.

Where would I find the Firmware Version on the Surface? I want to be sure that is the most current.

The crummy part of this is it deleted my Office 2013, my google apps connector and I am guessing the profile.

I hope this solves the issue with the system. I don't want to go through setting everything up again.

TMorss

update: I checked the event log and had 4 errors. I have attached the screenshot. 

ImTheTypeOfGuy

If this doesn't correct the issue you should call Microsoft.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

TMorss

I have reset the system and so far it seems to be running very well with no lock ups. I used it for a full work day without a hitch. One thing I changed is I have not installed the Chrome Browser and have been sticking to IE. I am actually surprised with how much I like IE, I guess I never really gave it a chance. It is a pretty zippy smooth browser on this Surface.

The only thing I don't have that I need is Google Hangouts. Is there a Windows App that can access Google Chat?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

No wonder, you should have mentioned you were using chrome to begin with.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

TMorss

Everything seems to be running well now. Sadly I have to have chrome for work, I don't understand why the surface struggles with it? Its a browser for Christ's sake.

callihan44

Im not fond of chrome or firefox etc as I have always used IE , Im not sure how well it works on the sp3 but on other tablets it has been known to destroy battery life and pushing the cpu to max