RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
fernandoespinosa

Recommended Software/setup/imaging For New Sp3?

fernandoespinosa
Hi! I just got my new SP3: Core i5/256GB/8GB RAM. YAY!

I'm a computer programmer/software developer so I essentially like to keep all my computers super-neat and follow a very rigorous process for maintaining what's installed and stored across the filesystem.

But this time I don't have a Windows 8 installation DVD or anything like that for me to perform a fresh-install.

I usually start from a fresh system and then incrementally install the important software that I will always need (office, development, favorite programs, etc) and then create images of my system. If I ever find my system unstable or dirty I simply re-image by computer. I keep all important user data backed up elsewhere.

My question is what recommendations do you have to achieve this goal with a brand new Surface? This is the first time I'll work with Windows 8.1 and their cloud based model.

All your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!

WolfJT

I recomend creating a recovery USB stick. That's all you'll need to go back to a factory install. From time to time you should create system restore points. That way you can always go back to any point that you created through the life of the machine. Or use symantec Ghost to create images of the harddrive.

• Like 1

vsherry

How do you create a recovery USB stick with this? I'd like to create one, and I'd also like to delete the recovery partition to gain the extra space.

WolfJT

From the start screen type recovery drive. Once there you'll see the wizard that will take you through the process

vsherry

The wizard says it'll erase everything off my stick, which is annoying. I guess I will just move everything to a folder, run the wizard and then copy the folder back to my drive.

thelilgeek

If you are making a recovery drive, you probably should not use it for day to day use.

vsherry

I used my new 128GB USB drive, and after the recovery drive finished, the drive was named RECOVERY and had about 32GB of total space. Now I am thinking of moving the files to an external HD and reformatting the USB drive to get the initial space back.

vsherry

I fixed the drive and just moved the recovery files from drive C back to the USB drive.