RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ffp

Smartphone Compatibility

ffp

Currently have Surface RT and an iPhone 5. They don't "talk" to each other w/o going thru a lot of steps and then still can't share files and info, but can do photo share.

Does anyone know if there is a smartphone that I can simply plug into the Surface Rt and share files, like notes/memos, a photo presentation I do, a Word file, or just about anything else? I guess what I'm looking for is the ability to plug in a cell phone and have it seen as "external storage device".

Dealing with a "limited ability" user, as far as "computer" knowledge goes, so be gentle!

Thanks for any assists.

ffp

WolfJT

You don't actually need to do anything special. Just use OneDrive. There is a OneDrive app for iOS and of course your Surface. So, if you have your files, pictures and music in One Drive you can access all of that from any device you want.

ffp

Thanks for the info but the problem with one drive is it requires internet connection. I do a lot of time out where there is no phone signal and no internet and need to do a direct connect between the phone and the tablet. Trying to figure out "How to" connect them to each other and actually share and transfer files that I work on when it's too dark to be out doing anything. Once completed, and I'm back in a phone service area, I can send it to those that are waiting. 

From looking at OneDrive it apepars that would require that I get into a phone service area, set the phone as a HotSpot, send the files up to OneDrive, then download them to the phone then send them via cell service. Trying to reduce the steps to where I can save a copy in the Surface RT, transfer a copy to the phone then send that to whoever.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

ffp

WolfJT

If you make sure the files you need are downloaded to your phone before you go out of service they can be edited and saved. Then when you get back into the world of connectivity the files will automatically sync and update. I'm not an Apple guy, but have you tried using Bluetooth to transfer your files?

schoondoggy

You may want to look at a WiFi external drive as a way to move files back and forth.

You could make a USB connection to the RT and a WiFi connect to the iPhone, the drive looks like a WAP.

ffp

The problem is that I do a lot of my writing when it's too dark to do much outside, not before I get there so I can't pre-download to my phone and I don't really want to do several pages of writing on the phone keyboard. Besides limited storage space on the iPhone. Says 16 but it's more like 8 in actuality.

schoondog, NY place you know of where I could get more info? That sounds like it may be a workable solution if I can exchange info thru it. I'll look around and see what I can find.  Thnks

schoondoggy

I would be sure to buy from someone with a good return policy in case this does not work as you expect.

Here a flash drive that should work:

http://www.sandisk.com/products/wireless/flash-drive/

Here is a drive version:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/?sku=STCV500100

Some of these devices only stream content out to mobile devices, you need one that allows you to upload data from your phone.

Some of these devices have a battery.

You will need to check to see that any of these devices will work with your RT over USB

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Buy a windows phone and then you can plug it into your RT and transfer files all day long. As an added bonus you get a much better device than an iPhone.

• Like 1

ffp

Just had another "IDK" brain fart about how I might be able to do what I want but don't know if it would work.

IF I got a phone, like the Nokia Lumia 820 that uses a micro card (up to 32g) could I take that from the phone, insert it into the RT, and pull the info/photos/etc, into a file on the RT or vise versa? Or could I use a USB cable and would the RT see it as an "external storage" and be able to open any/all files?

Thanks for assisting the weak minded!

ITTOG: didn't see your post before writing this. Thanks! Have you done this and what phone did you use that seemed to work the best? Need one with a good antenna because I'm lucky to get 2 bars on the iPhone at home.

ffp

Edited by ffp