RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to Convert HomeServer to Virtual

edamiga1

I am about to virtualize, using Hyper-V, my current Home Server. The Home Server is an AMD 5050e chip. I want to understand the best way to tackle this. Below is my thought on how to do this and there are basically two paths. I am using 2 500GB WD Black 2.5" drives in Raid 1 for my system drive. I will then directly attach the harddrives to the virutal Home Server Image.

Option 1: Restore to a virtual image

I am thinking of using the same board initally, so I won't need to buy a new one. give this I would simply remove all of the existing drives and install a new boot drive initally connected to the MB. Once I get this up I will install Hyper V onto this and get it fully functional. Once I have done this I will then create a new computer for my Home Server and go through the installation and do a restore. I have not done this before so I am not sure how best to do this, but I know someone has written this up. My thought is that once this is done I will simply attach all of my pooled drives and hopefully it will just work.

Option 2: Convert Physical to Virtual

This would require me to get a new motherboard, cpu and memory so I can have both machines up at the same time. I would then just use the physical to virtual software to convert the system. I would then have to somehow shut down and move all of the drives over and then reboot, but not sure how well this will work.

My reason for this is once I get this all working, I will then install the Vail beta as another VM. Once Vail releases I will just install this and then convert the data drive one at a time. I will be able to do this without having to touch the hardward, since the drives will just be moved from one VM to the other. The file copy will be quick also, since it is all in the same machine and should be 10GB between the virtual machines.

What are your thoughts on this and which approach should I choose. Has anyone done this?

What are your thoughts on this.

What are your thoughts on this.

Option 3:

Follow Option 1, except do a clean install. Then connect the disks 1 at a time and copy the data over to the pool before adding each drive to the pool.

Guest no-control

Option 1 the way you have it is doable. I have done it several times on test servers. But if the restore doesn't go smooth for whatever reason. You'll need to do a clean install like option 3. While it takes longer, it guarantees your data is moved to the new server and you get a clean o/s which is always nice to have.

Option 2 is also viable, but you'll need to setup a new system and you did not indicate if that is preferable or not.